S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

what are the benefits of running a cooler thermostat?

Old 05-08-2002, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the benefits of running a cooler thermostat?

What is the upside and the downside of running a cooler spoon or mugen thermostat?
Old 05-09-2002, 03:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Based upon reports of those with full instrumentation there appears to be no benefit when used with the stock radiator.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:44 AM

My understanding is that you need to use the 3 Spoon or Mugen sensors:
Thermostat
Fan Switch
Radiator Cap

Using only one at a time will do nothing, or possibly cause problems.

Once they are on the car, you won't notice anything. They don't add or make power. The sensors work to keep you from LOSING power caused by heat soak.

Driving around in 70* temps you won't notice anything before or after, but drive against a stock S2000 on the track or if both of you sit in traffic on a 90*+ day and then run up to 100mph the S2000 with the Spoon or Mugen sensors should show less heat soak and in turn loose less power due to this.

"Mugen has implied that as little as 5 degrees (F) will result in a 1% power gain. That means that a 25 degree reduction would result in a 5% power gain. "

If you go by this theory, and for our purposes the stock S2000 at the track or stuck in traffic is 25* hotter than the Spoon/Mugen equiped one then the stock car could possibly only be able to make 228 crank hp.

Only downside would be the cost of the parts and the labor to install it. Doing all three at once makes it easier because you can just drain the coolant, install and fill the coolant. And if you are going to to all that, you might as well install the Hondata intake gasket at the same time.

Hope this helps. I'm not the expert on this by any means but this is my understanding of it.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Jenner
My understanding is that you need to use the 3 Spoon or Mugen sensors:
Thermostat
Fan Switch
Radiator Cap
Yes, but if you will look at previous threads on the subject all components are used with no benefit with the stock radiator because under hard running the coolant temp reaches a temperature that maintains an open thermostat. It makes no difference what kind because they all work the same when fully open. I concluded that the stock radiator does not have the capacity to cool enough to close any thermostat, and of course at speed there is plenty of airflow regardless of fan setting. The higher pressure cap may suppress hot spots, but basically the set of mods does nothing.

I am open to a different interpretation, but two people with coolant temperature gauges have reported the same thing. I am also disappointed since I have the same mods installed, but it is hard to argue with data from the field.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Jenner

"Mugen has implied that as little as 5 degrees (F) will result in a 1% power gain. That means that a 25 degree reduction would result in a 5% power gain. "

If you go by this theory, and for our purposes the stock S2000 at the track or stuck in traffic is 25* hotter than the Spoon/Mugen equiped one then the stock car could possibly only be able to make 228 crank hp.
What you are referring to is Intake Air Temperature, a very different measurement than Engine Coolant Temperature. IAT makes a dramatic difference in performance.

ECT also makes a difference, but very little. How much could only be determined by advanced computer modeling by Honda or empirical dyno tests, which no-one has done for the S2000.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]

Yes, but if you will look at previous threads on the subject all components are used with no benefit with the stock radiator because under hard running the coolant temp reaches a temperature that maintains an open thermostat. It makes no difference what kind because they all work the same when fully open. I concluded that the stock radiator does not have the capacity to cool enough to close any thermostat, and of course at speed there is plenty of airflow regardless of fan setting. The higher pressure cap may suppress hot spots, but basically the set of mods does nothing.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]One of the other members (Marcucci) and I both have the Hondata insulator / spacer on our intake manifolds.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:07 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RSXTypeR
[B]

Can you elaborate on this?
Old 05-10-2002, 05:09 AM

http://www.hondata.com/heatshield.html

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]
One of the other members (Marcucci) and I both have the Hondata insulator / spacer on our intake manifolds.

Quick Reply: what are the benefits of running a cooler thermostat?