S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

what is the advantage of a ...

Old 12-08-2004, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the advantage of a ...

what is the advantage of a centrifugal supercharge vs turbo or even roots style?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see, I think a centrfigul S/C is very similar in performance as a turbo except full boost isnt reached until redline. While a roots type can start boosting at a lower rpm becasue it replaces your intake throttle body. There probably a lot more to it, but I dont know.

I have been thinking if there is a way to make a centrifigul blower hold boost. Kind of like start off with a 20 psi max pulley, but once it reaches 7 psi have it hold it up to redline. This way you can have full boost at a lower RPM.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:23 AM

I thought about how to do that to.....holding boost. The only thing I could think of is this:

Install a super small pulley, like a 20 PSI one, and have some sort of slipping clutch (like a centrifugal one you can find on those clutched yo-yos).

Once the pulley reaches a certain RPM (boost level), the clutch starts slipping on it so no matter how fast the engine spins, the pulley still spins at the 7 psi level. Obviously easier said than done, but just an idea.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:41 AM

LOL thats exactly what I was thinking, but the clutch would wear to fast. I also thought about a 2 pullety system with a locking mechanism once it reached a certain rpm. Also maybe another wastegate type thing before the throtle body. Maybe spring loaded, so once it reaches the certain boost level it will just constantly leak the rest of the air.

Or a very technical pulley which can expand and contract with the centrifiugal force, but thats to many moving parts ina small area.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It seems that the question should be "What is the advantage of a complete subject title?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by revhi,Dec 8 2004, 01:00 PM
Lets see, I think a centrfigul S/C is very similar in performance as a turbo except full boost isnt reached until redline. While a roots type can start boosting at a lower rpm becasue it replaces your intake throttle body. There probably a lot more to it, but I dont know.

I have been thinking if there is a way to make a centrifigul blower hold boost. Kind of like start off with a 20 psi max pulley, but once it reaches 7 psi have it hold it up to redline. This way you can have full boost at a lower RPM.
I'm sorry for being an ass, but how is a turbo even remotely similar to a centrifugal SC? The centrifugal SC is the MOST DIFFERENT form of FI from a turbo!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:31 PM

there is none, turbos rule superchargers drool
Old 12-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Another thing is that the SC causes quite a bit of parasitic loss. It takes quite a bit of power (from the engine) to spin that sucker. If you have an SC pumping 20 PSI just to blow off 13 PSI worth of air into the atmosphere, it is going to have a net LOSS of power.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

On a positive note ...

It would be cool if someone would produce an electronically controlled (by boost) varaible gear ratio on the SC. For example if the pulleys were designed on the same principle of the continuously variable transmissions (opposed cone shapped "things" with variable spacing and a rigid notched belt), then the drive ratio could be higher at low RPMS, and incrementally lower at high RPMs to maintain a constant boost with minimal losses.

Another way that it could be achieved is with electronically controlled (by boost) pitch on the blades of the SC.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Dec 8 2004, 08:29 PM
I'm sorry for being an ass, but how is a turbo even remotely similar to a centrifugal SC? The centrifugal SC is the MOST DIFFERENT form of FI from a turbo!
I meant in the aspect of being a turbine in a housing unlike the roots type screw replacing intake throttle body.

Quick Reply: what is the advantage of a ...