S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wet (oiled) Type Air Filter Concern

Old 06-18-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet (oiled) Type Air Filter Concern

Just want to make sure, is it perfectly save to use a wet filter? I'm asking because I have a Comptech Filter, its been on for about 6 months. My car runs good now, but i don't want to have future problems with the MAP sensor.

It was discussed in this link, I was going to bump it, but its in a Communities Forum. Here it will get more exposure.

Potential Problem

The Thread concludes with the oiled type filters being safe.

Anyone with the oil type air filter experience any problems, that may be related to a faulty MAP Sensor.

I also want to hear from those that have hand a Comptech Air Filter installed for a long time and have had no problems. To encourage me to keep my filter. I really don't want to get rid of my New filter.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been using this type of air filter for nearly 3 years. I have re-oiled twice. Never have I had any MAP sensor problems. You must realize that our MAP sensor situation is a peculiar one. See here:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...6&highlight=map
Even without an oiled filter, these problems show up. Therefore, if you are anal retentive, compulsive/obsessive or simply easily influenced, it may "seem" like the MAP issue is because of an oil filtered. Certainly, I can't speak for all who use oiled filters and I certainly cannot vouch that most people who re-oil them don't overdo it and have oil DRIPPING off the damn thing afterwards and immediately put it on the car. I think this is a common mistake - over oiling. People must learn to take off the excess oil before using such a filter.
Looking at the design of a typical MAP sensor, I'm still not convinced that oil vapours would adversely affect its function anyway.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Just for reference, the stock OEM filters are oiled from Honda.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:18 PM

Yeah your right xviper, im easily influenced. I'm the type, if it's not broken don't mess with it. But this going thru this forum has influenced me alot. So far, the air filter is the only thing that I changed in the engine. because it was only a couple dollars difference from the stock. So 3 years it's been on.

Slows2k, the stock filter is oiled! That's suprising.

Well given the evidence I'm keeping the Comptech on.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Slows2k
Just for reference, the stock OEM filters are oiled from Honda.
Huh - it is a paper element - I pinched it the other day and no residue of oil came off. They are treated, but it is almost always with a wax or phenolic compound.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

All of the new OEM filters I have installed are oiled. My original OEM filter was much less "Oily" than the replacement. The S isn't the only Honda that have oil as well. I have pulled 02 and up Odyssey filters, CL-S and TL-S have all been oiled as well. I'm no oil expert, but the bag the filter is packed in is oily, and my hands were covered after installing. I'm using the feels and looks like oil, must be some kind of oil logic.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by BlitzSRM
Anyone with the oil type air filter experience any problems, that may be related to a faulty MAP Sensor.
I have suggested more than once that there may be a correlation between the two but have never seen anyone concur. 90% of the people I have seen with a MAP problem also had some sort of oiled filter.. and it is just to easy to over oil which may result in sensor fouling.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:49 PM

okay, just gotta to make sure the filter is not over oiled.