S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Were my gears stolen?

Old 10-10-2002, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Were my gears stolen?

Hi. Recently I had a clutch and flywheel installed in my car. I dropped the car off Monday morning thinking that I would get it back Monday night, like I was told I would. I ended up not getting the car back until Friday afternoon because according to them, their "technician" that was supposed to work on my car had been calling in sick. I got the car back and everything seemed like it was supposed to be. However, there is one concern that I have. For some reason, my 1-2 shift seems a lot longer than I remember it being with the gears (J's 4.44). With a decently quick shift at redline, the tach falls down to like 6,600 RPM (+ or - 100RPM). I got the clutch and flywheel installed at my local speed shop, and the gears were installed at my local Honda dealer. Is there any way to test the car to see if I still have the 4.44's without having to take anything apart? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:44 PM

I should also add that they may have not been stolen. It is possible that after they installed my clutch, they were having some fun with the car and blew out my ring and pinion gear and replaced it with the OEM Honda one not knowing that I have different gears. Does it have anything to do with the flywheel? Cause don't the revs drop a lot faster with a flywheel?

I must sound really paranoid right now, lol.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont feel paranoid at all. you will go through the gears MUCH faster because of the gears in the rear end, and the flywheel will spin up much quicker - increasing.. or rather decreasing the amount of time spent in a gear.

only way to tell if you have the gears in the rear: put the car on a lift, or jack up the rear by the diff - mark on the driveshaft and mark on the tires. spin the tire one time and the driveshaft will spin 4.44 times - which is difficult to estimate, but you will notice it much more than 4.1 times around. (stock gear = 4.1)
Old 10-10-2002, 02:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Your speedometer should be the dead give away. With your 4.44 gears, you should have needed an 8% speedo compensation with something like the "Yelllow Box". Without the YB, you'd have 8% speedo error. What do you have now?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've never taken a look at an S2000 differential (or very many non-solid axle diffs for that matter) but does it have a cover on it? If so you could drain the fluid, take the cover off, and have a look at the gears without tearing anything apart. Then it's just a matter of counting teeth.

-Steve
Old 10-10-2002, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

diffs - solid or not, are the same, offroadr35. although that would be a sure way of verification, its a little intrusive.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by offroadr35
[B]i've never taken a look at an S2000 differential (or very many non-solid axle diffs for that matter) but does it have a cover on it?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

Just jack up the rear of your car so both rear wheel are off the ground. In neutral, turn the propshaft 10 times. The wheels should turn 2.25 times. Use some paint, or liquid paper to mark the propshaft. The LSD will hold the rear wheels together so you shouldnt have to worry about one rear wheel turning more/less than the other.

Good luck
Old 10-10-2002, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What shop? Should have brought it to me and you wouldn't have to worry about a possible shady shop. You only come to me for warranty (free stuff)!
Old 10-10-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by s2ktech
You only come to me for warranty (free stuff)!
And you would be? I'll tell you one thing though, if it wasn't for free and coming out of my pocket, you can bet your life that I wouldn't be getting my repairs done at a Honda dealer (unless your name is Shane and your the only one that I prefer to work on my car at the dealer, But I highly doubt that you are). $700+ for a clutch install? Yeah right! I'l get it done at my local reputable speed shop for half the price.

Quick Reply: Were my gears stolen?