S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

went off on the track, car veers right now

Old 02-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went off on the track, car veers right now

recently i went off at turn 8 at thill video and then teh car looked liek this

aftercooler radiator was bent up on one side and lots of tabs were torn out including my fender lining. i got the car re-aligned and its still veering to the right. i dont remember seeing anything bent when i took off the wheels. does anyone have some suggestions what to look at or possibly replace?

also, the car seems to still want to oversteer on left turns and its okay on right turns which was the symptom after i went back onto the track that same day. i thought it was jus the alignment but i'm not sure anymore. i havent been able to take the car to an environment where i can really push it hard so i'm not sure yet if this is still happening or i'm jus thinking it is. just thought i'd add that comment also.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 PM

get the front end checked for loose parts and have your alignment checked too, a front end impact like that will often knock the Caster out of spec and cause a pull or odd handiling.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM

try and get a full chassis alignment. not just a wheel alignment.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by S-Turn AP1,Feb 18 2008, 05:39 PM
get the front end checked for loose parts and have your alignment checked too, a front end impact like that will often knock the Caster out of spec and cause a pull or odd handiling.
already got alignment checked. any more ideas?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 PM

if you haven't already, post in r&c forum. prob alot more people with similar experiences who can help you out.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The front lower control arms bend easy. The bend may be slight and you can't see it with your eyes. You alignment tech clearly missed it during his work. He should have had some issues getting enough camber. I bet he just got it into the GREEN. You need to find another shop to align your car. A race (track race, not street race) is perfered.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 AM

Before we all jump to conclusions, check the tire pressures and see if they're all relatively the same.

Most normal alignment shops DO NOT check for caster, especially if it's a shop that thinks an S2000 is just like every other "Honda" out there. A quick way to check your caster to see if it's dramatically off is to measure from the edge of the tire closest to the door to the edge of the door closest to the tire with the wheels straight forward...then go to the other side and do the same. A 1/2" difference will cause it to really pull. If caster is the issue, the right front wheel will be 1/2" or more closer to the door than the left front wheel would be.

Also, rear toe could make it pull as well. Front toe would NEVER make a car pull...it'll just make your steering wheel look crooked. Camber could also make a car "pull".

I read in this thread that someone suggested to get a "frame alignment". Getting a "frame alignment" isn't easy. It takes a couple hours to properly mount the car on a frame machine and setup the machine to measure the points...and if it IS crooked, you might as well just keep going and repair it while it's already on the frame machine...$500? Maybe more. On top of that, I wouldn't just trust any shop to start yanking on the frame.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=courantcom,Feb 19 2008, 08:20 AM] Before we all jump to conclusions, check the tire pressures and see if they're all relatively the same.

Most normal alignment shops DO NOT check for caster, especially if it's a shop that thinks an S2000 is just like every other "Honda" out there.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM

camber is what really is going to make the car pull. toe and caster would really have to be out of spec to do that. i would check control arms and struts, they are the first to get bent.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 AM

HOLY SHIT YOU TOK A HARD HIT! I cant believe your car is even in one peice! good luck on the alignment issues.

Quick Reply: went off on the track, car veers right now