S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Well i broke a rocker arm.....

Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PureFunction
Pretty much the same thing happened to my old motor. It gave out near the top of 3rd, about 8k rpm. Broke both rockers on the intake side of cyl 2 and 1 valve on the exhaust side of cyl 2. Both valves are sunk in the retainers on intake side. I never got around to pulling the head off.

The motor did have ap2 retainers on the intake side. Had a used oil analysis done after a track day and it had a lot of lead(a little over a month before it blew up). Not sure if that had anything to do with the failure but i knew something was wrong. I was planning to get a daily beater and pull the motor apart to see if i could rebuild it but it didnt last.
Since you said this I just went and double checked.

I broke intake rocker arm and dropped a valve on the exahust side.

I'll pull retainers tomorrow and inspect for cracks.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm then in that case i'd say it is a weak rocker arm..
like i said thats just my theory
well, take apart n chck all the component n let us know.
a loosen valve could cause that problem as well, and like someone mentioned above valve float , if keeper fells out it does the same dmg.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

My guess is the retainer formed a crack underneath like they so commonly do on over revved F20 heads, and the valve sank far enough to blow the keeper out and then it dropped the valve, wile on the next piston revolution launched the valve stem back out snapping it and the rocker arm in half. The only thing that is odd as I eluded before, is that id expect to see the retainer detached or broken along with the other half of the keeper missing, but maybe it managed to wedge and re seat itself itself after a few more revolutions of the rocker assy.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://aemelectronics.com/?q=forum/i...gy-explanation

This has been debated and AEM has given more detailed VTEC control functions with 96.2 firmware... I just did the update tonite but funny thing is that my tuner couldnt even figure out where the hell the option was.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Chitoki

This has been debated and AEM has given more detailed VTEC control functions with 96.2 firmware... I just did the update tonite but funny thing is that my tuner couldnt even figure out where the hell the option was.

Not sure how VTEC fits in on the OP's engine failure. Seems to be pure mechanical problem. Structural failure of retainer or keepers. Or valve floating. I suppose VTEC allows the engine to rev to higher RPM's. But, this kind of damage is seen in non-VTEC or turbo'ed engines.

One other thing, that may apply to VTEC. Since, the valves are riding on the more progressive lobes during VTEC --- there is much less clearance and tolerance for timing errors (wrt valve and piston clearance).
Old 01-27-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a guess, maybe TCT failure?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:27 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Possible the engine was under deceleration for a brief period right after you shifted into 4th as you were on the throttle ?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by kukudm
Just a guess, maybe TCT failure?
Nope I looked.

I also have an InlinePRO TCT.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:22 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by starchland
Possible the engine was under deceleration for a brief period right after you shifted into 4th as you were on the throttle ?
Nope, 3rd wot, revlimiter, shift 4th wot and ka pow. Lol
Old 01-28-2016, 04:26 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Chitoki

My Tuner is Kenny w/TurboGixxer Tuning now at Speed factory.
I was tuned the day 96.2 came out so we download it and are using 96.2

Quick Reply: Well i broke a rocker arm.....