S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Well, it broke...

Old 04-23-2002, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aftermath...

The Ring...

The Pinion...

The Evidence...

The Punishment...

Hey, it's really not that bad of a rental, especially since it's free (it smells good too...lol...ah that new-car smell). Honda tells me that the "pack" should be here on Friday, probably won't get it back until Monday .
Old 04-23-2002, 09:42 PM

hahah.. the punishment!

sorry man,, honda slacked on the diff.. mine snapped too.. about 2months ago.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:52 PM

That is some baaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddd punishment! Hey, it could be worse...I had to drive a Ford Taurus for 2 days! Talk about a freakin nightmare!
Old 04-23-2002, 11:25 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

You got a pic of the bearing cap on the other side? The backside of the ring? Like Josh said, the cap most likely cracked first allowing the gear mesh to get loose which in turn busted the tooth ..... which in turn .....
Old 04-24-2002, 07:03 AM

I'm gonna' try to get to Honda today to see if they will let me take pix of it RT, I re-read all the diff posts and that seems to be the major cause.

I hope they haven't sent it back to Honda yet, I'll call them now...
Old 04-27-2002, 06:43 PM

Well, I didn't get a chance to look at the old bearing cap, but the good news is that I got the car back on Friday (YAY! That damn PT Cruiser was about to kill me!). The car drives fine, no noise at all, but the ABS light is on and the car definitely doesn't have the ABS working. I'll take it in Monday to see what's up with it. I never realized just how much the ABS in this car intervenes, even when you can't feel it it's probably working.

Anyway, I'm glad to have it back, just wanted to let everyone know that my dealer was ultra cool about it and ultra quick as well.

Andrew
Old 04-27-2002, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew, we haven't seen this problem at all in the UK yet I see two occurrences on your board. I know that you guys over there like to "dump" the clutch in high rev standing starts much more than we do and wondered if that has something to do with the problem? I'm not saying it SHOULD break under those circumstances mind you, just trying to find out why we haven't seen it here.

Of course we have much smaller numbers here (probably less than 2500 cars in the country) and only a small percentage of those are board members anyway; so it could be that the problem does exist here, we just don't know about it!
Old 04-27-2002, 10:40 PM

Question for you guys who have had problems...

I heard that aftermarket ring and pinion's like the ones J's sells are stronger than the factory gears. WOuld that help sole any ofthe weaknesses in the set up. I thought also cryo frezzing them as well to add even more.

Also, what about the bearing cap, any upgrade to this?
Old 04-30-2002, 05:06 AM

PWE: The initial millisecond of the clutch-dump may have something to do with stress-cracking the gear, which in turn ends up chipping a tooth, which in turn... Truly, I don't know. The fact is, there are many people that drive their S2000 harder than I do, and dump the clutch way more often that have had no problems. I don't have an answer dude.

decofmind: Talk with Wesmaster, I believe he has some upgrades...

Andrew
Old 04-30-2002, 06:51 AM

No matter how strong your gears are, if the bearing cap breaks, you're f-cked. Comptech has a bearing cap reinforcement, but after seeing the pictures, I believe it is worthless. All it looks to me like it will do is catch some of the pieces when the bearing cap breaks - so that total failure might be less sudden (ie. 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes after initial cracking).

Quick Reply: Well, it broke...