S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird VTEC problem.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartarus
The AP1 ECU doesnt know the difference. It thinks it's spinning an F20c. Yes, it'll rev the engine like it's an F20.

​​​​
Thanks! Wonder what is the half-life of an AP2 engine rev'ed frequently to 9K?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Thanks! Wonder what is the half-life of an AP2 engine rev'ed frequently to 9K?
Ive been running F22 with ap1 ecu for years supercharged and NA. Its a little trickier/harder to read shifting at 8500rpm (safest limit) with a supercharger because the power never signs off, so it begs you to take it to the limiter (which I have done a lot) but NA the motor signs off pretty drastically after 8500 rpm so its not really a problem once you get a feel for it. At my local track there is one turn in particular that is nice having that extra over rev past 8500, but other then that the motor rarely sees it. The connecting rods are really beefy on these motors so its not like your going to throw a rod, the issue is side loading and eventually scuffing the cylinder walls/pistons.

I cant pinpoint the OP issue here, but being experienced running his combo, I can say that the ap1 ecu though rich from factory, will run leaner on the f22, and even more so if its a later 02-03 series ecu, so I would hope that a wideband is being used to monitor afr to rule out an overly lean condition causing break up. I use a adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get the proper fuel I need to run safe in open loop/WOT. I also have some breathing mods like intake, TB/port and cat back w/TP, so thats going to cause my fuel requirements to go up quite a bit over someone running totally stock and with a cat still in place. If thats the case, the fuel is leaner then stock but probably still ok. Guessing when you have a problem though is never much fun, so i always advise having the proper monitoring tools when modifications are made.
The following users liked this post:
WilloW (12-20-2016)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update.

During the process of diagnosing an intermittent starting problem (aftermarket alarm system) I noticed a loose Green/Yellow wire hidden within the bundle of the main harness. Whoever the previous owner before my friend must have spliced into the VTEC Solenoid Valve wire (Pin B12 on the middle plug into the ECU). Instead of soldering the wire back during the uninstall of whatever it was, they just twisted the ends and shrink wrapped over the joint. During my recent engine swap I may have yanked on the harness a little bit while getting the main plugs into the cabin.

I'm going to try to find an empty stretch and just hold it in VTEC for a while to see if it is really fixed.

The alarm that caused the starting problem was a whole different shit show of its own. Thank you all for your inputs.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

it's the ghost of vtec here to haunt you. you must repent.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by WilloW
Update.

During the process of diagnosing an intermittent starting problem (aftermarket alarm system) I noticed a loose Green/Yellow wire hidden within the bundle of the main harness. Whoever the previous owner before my friend must have spliced into the VTEC Solenoid Valve wire (Pin B12 on the middle plug into the ECU). Instead of soldering the wire back during the uninstall of whatever it was, they just twisted the ends and shrink wrapped over the joint. During my recent engine swap I may have yanked on the harness a little bit while getting the main plugs into the cabin.
You never got a CEL with the bad wiring? Anyhow, the loom is now correctly repaired?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
You never got a CEL with the bad wiring? Anyhow, the loom is now correctly repaired?
I did had a P1259 but during initial inspection my focus was at the wrong spot. I was obsessing over the connector, screen, pressure switch and the solenoid. Right when I posted this thread the car shortly got disabled due to the alarm so I couldn't really hit VTEC to replicate the problem.

The engine and the under-dash harness has been properly soldered and shrink wrapped. Any miscellaneous wiring associated with the aftermarket alarm system are gone and all the nasty taps and splices are repaired and wrapped up as well.