S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

weird tranny symptoms...???

Old 11-15-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird tranny symptoms...???

I have an 00' S2000 with apx. 23,000 miles. I love this car but lately it has been giving me some worries and concerns. I have heard of the problems in grinding from 1st to 2nd at high rpms and my car seems to have this problem once in a while.

1. However, just 2 nights ago, I have noticed an awful grind going into 5th gear....if I am on 4th at 6,000 rpm or higher and I quickly try to shift to 5th, I will get an awful grind...every single time....if I shift very slow it will not happen....???

2. I am also having a hard time going onto 1st or reverse from a dead stop...it is really hard to put it on gear....

3. and last, when I am on 2nd or 4th gear and coming to a stop, if I attempt to put it on neutral, it almost seems the shifter gets "stuck" on 2nd and 4th and it takes a little effort to get it to come out of gear to put it on nuetral....

The car is going to the dealership on Monday. Anything I should be aware of guys? Thanks for your help and feedback.

Angel...pissed!
Old 11-15-2002, 10:54 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Humm, I ground an S2K for the 1st time this past weekend going 1st to 2nd at High R's in the middle of a salom. It surprised me since I usually shift very slow. People actually ride with me and tell me I can pick up time If I increase my shift speed. It's a bit disconcerning seeing as many of the S2K's having this problem.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:56 AM

almost sounds like the clutch not fully disengaging...........maybe adjustment and or air in system......

greybeard
Old 11-15-2002, 11:10 AM

I talked to the service people, which are very nice by the way, and they pretty much said they will fix whatever needs to be fixed, including the clutch, as the car is still under warranty. My question is, if it is ONLY the clutch that needs fixed, wouldn't all the 98 grinds or so damaged the synchros and the fifth gear? Also, many grinds at high rpm going onto second...should I address the fact that I would rather have those things fixed to? I most certainly will push to have the TSB thing fixed as I get that annoying buzz (which I had gotten used to also).....

I hope my agricultural experience last week had nothing to do with this problem...
Old 11-15-2002, 05:24 PM

Hopefully, they will open your tranny up and look at all the synchros and gear clusters. Another HouStook has had similar issues and the dealership performed all the service under warranty too.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:19 PM

I had a friend who had a very similar problem in his Rx-7. He thought his clutch wasn't fully disengaging also. It ended up being that after multiple hard shifts (and trust me he does shift it hard) he bent up the linkage and things weren't exactaly lining up properly inside tranny. His symptoms were, very hard to shift into first / reverse (at a stop), grinding into 2nd and 4th.

If you've got a warranty now's the time to use it. You may want to also look into getting TSB 054 and TSB 055 done.
-Chris
Old 11-18-2002, 11:09 AM

Well, my car is at the dealership and it seems it will be there for a while. They have been able to recreate all the problems and they are currently going through all the list of parts they will need to fix it....should I just ask for a new tranny???
Old 11-18-2002, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PilotChris
[B]I had a friend who had a very similar problem in his Rx-7.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Former Moderator

that sounds a lot like my car. I think there is a mfg defect in the clutch system that causes it to not fully disengage. I've been advocating this since i had the 1-2 fix done for the second time about 45k miles ago.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:31 PM

TSB 054 is for the clutch disk... I think it makes a sloshing sound inside your transmission (they call it gear back lash)

TSB 055 is for the 1st - 2nd gear grinds.

Quick Reply: weird tranny symptoms...???