S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird squeaking sound...

Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird squeaking sound...

I've just recently noticed this problem...

This happens about 50% of the time:

When I have my foot down, and I'm accelerating, I hear a weird high-pitched squeaking noise coming from the engine.

When I let off, the noise disappears.

The noise is extremely high-pitched, and kind of sounds like it's pulsing.

My instinct is to think that perhaps a belt isn't tight? But if that was the case, it wouldn't ONLY happen when I'm pushing the engine, correct?

Does this sound familiar to anybody?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ce127,May 5 2006, 10:45 PM
My instinct is to think that perhaps a belt isn't tight? But if that was the case, it wouldn't ONLY happen when I'm pushing the engine, correct?
We have a belt auto-tensioner, but this may be in need of replacement.
Yes, it could happen ONLY when you rev the engine. When you spin up an engine, you add torque to everything that turns. This can cause extra load on tensioners and pulleys.
Can you duplicate this from under the hood? Make sure ebrake is set firmly before doing this. Rev the engine by rotating the throttle plate at the intake. If you can make this noise happen, then you can possibly home in on where the noise is coming from. It could be the tensioner itself or it could be any one of the accessory pulleys.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Actually, I've tried rotating the throttle plate manually.

I can't seem to duplicate the noise... the noise only happens when the car is actually in gear, and there's a load on the engine...

I'll definitely try again, though. It'd be a lot easier to home in source, as you said...
Old 05-06-2006, 12:13 AM

Do you have a cold air intake?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by s2kBryan916,May 6 2006, 01:13 AM
Do you have a cold air intake?
Or even a stock intake will produce an intake whistle.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:44 AM

Intake whistle, you say? And yes, there was a cold air intake installed... I put the stock airbox back on it, though... [For AutoX classing purposes]

The lower portion of the CAI is still bolted onto the car.

I really don't think it's a "whistle", though... It's way too high pitched to be a whistle...
Old 05-06-2006, 10:06 AM

I'm sorry, but we've given you some ideas on what this might be based on a description that you have put in words over the internet. I stopped doing "noise" questions a long time ago, but I thought I'd get suckered into it one more time. This just confirmed to me that I should never do sound questions again.

If you think it's way too high pitched for a "whistle", then you need to get someone who can gives you "hands on" help. I'm not going to spend an inordinate amount of time here trying to convince you that you do or don't have a whistle. You ask for help but are not willing to accept susgestions because they don't fit into the preconceptions of what you think it might be. You want a fortune teller. I'm not it.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:12 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you...

I'm definitely not discounting your theories.

I'm merely attempting to further explain to you and everyone what I feel the noise sounds like.

It's not like I'm blatantly disregarding all suggestions about what the noise might be... I definitely know what an intake whistling sounds like, and I just wanted to express my opinion that I didn't think it was as simple as that...

No offense, but there's no need to be so sensitive about this...

In any case, I'm sorry if I offended you.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed a very hi pitch sound when i push the throttle as well. It only sounds when I push the gas about 2 inches. It sounds like a belt but the fact that it takes place no matter the speed of my car and no matter the rpm, only the throttle position, tells me it can't be a belt, breaks, or anything like that. I agree its some sort of whistle. It did get louder when I installed my FIPK CAI. if thats not enough, my buddy has and RSX S with a AEM CAI and there is the same sound only not as loud. If this sound like its the same thing your talking about, my guess is its just some kind of vacuum line or something caused by the butterfly position. My solution? Push the gas pedal harder.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:48 PM

I dont have an intake but I did block the resonator on the stock box. I have a similar noise but it only happens aruond 3,000 rpm given about 100-200 rpm. Past that point nothin really happens. I dont really care anymore and Im guessing its normal. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Weird squeaking sound...