S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird squeaking noise while accelerating.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird squeaking noise while accelerating.

While driving today I noticed a weird squeaking noise while accelerating. It's a constant squeak that sounds like something is leaking. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh man...that is a little too vague. LOL...my mechanic's crystal ball has grease on it.

Can you make a vid and post so we can hear what you are hearing?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM

I'll try to get a video. I hope it picks up the sound though.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 AM

Okay, here's the video . It's sounds like a whistle/ whining sound. It didn't start right away when I started to drive. This was the 3rd recording after several minutes. Also it was non existent a few days ago.

Here's another video of a different sound. During idle the engine sound changes from time to time. You can tell near the beginning of the video and at 1:18 to the end. I've noticed this on other cars as well but never found out what the cause was.

One more question, what causes the ticking noise from under the car after a drive? Iv'e noticed this too on other cars.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Former Moderator

OK...the first vid sounds like the feedback noise when you don't have a good ground in your sound system. Do you have an aftermarket head, speakers, sub or amp? Or do you use an AUX input for your ipod or XM/Sirius radio? If so, you may need a ground loop isolator.

2nd vid...not sure what sound you are referrencing, but it really sounds like you need to get your valves adjusted. Either that or your timing chain tensioner (TCT) needs to be replaced.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM

I do have an aftermarket head unit and an amp. But why would it be affected by accelerating? The sound is in sync with the revs. If I turn off the system will there still be feedback?

2nd video, it's not really a sound but the change in pitch and volume that the engine makes. If you skip all the way to 1:14 the engine idles quietly and then at 1:18 it gets louder.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Former Moderator

I'm not an electronics expert...I can tell you that is what is causing the sound though.

If I were to speculate, the electrical field generated by coils firing the spark plugs creates interference...the higher the rev...the more the coils fire and the higher the pitch.

I know 30yrs ago, the same type problem was caused by unshielded spark plug wires.

The pitch change at 1:14 to 1:18 is the radiator fan coming on.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with negcamber...I had the same problem when I attached an aftermarket amp to my stock head unit via without ground. The noise I believe is from the alternator.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM

So I drove with the system off and the sound was gone. Thanks guys. So I should just get a grounding kit from either online or local store? What brand/ kit do you guys recommend?

What causes the ticking noise from under the car/ exhaust after a drive? I've heard it on other cars old and new so I'm not really concerned but I would like to know the cause.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh its the electrical frequency coming from your engine and penetrating your amp wiring. Go to an audio place and ask them about noise filters. Notice on you computer monitor cable how at each end theres like a cylindrical block of plastic? Thats the same concept, Its just like a magnet that shields the cable from outside frequencies. I know you can get them for your car audio cables too. Or you can get some shielded cable and re-wire it

Quick Reply: Weird squeaking noise while accelerating.