S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird sound coming from drivers side!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound coming from drivers side!

Hey everyone, I just got my 2006 AP2 with about 65K miles & it is in immaculate condition however I noticed 2 weird sounds & I couldnt find anyone with a similar issue with search.

The sound sounds is a very soft hiss coming from somewhere on the drivers side (I’m thinking it’s somewhere from the rear wheel), it sounds very similar to a faucet just barely being turned on & it doesnt get louder or faster as I'm driving. It stays consistent at all speeds although I can’t really hear it over the engine at higher speeds.

The second sound is a light metal scraping sound that only happens in reverse when I'm riding the clutch a bit and backing up. There is nothing hanging or touching the ground under the car. My s2 is also bone stock.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Hello,

Congratulations on the new ride! Some things to consider. Could the two sounds be coming from the same place? Are they there when coasting, cornering, braking, etc? Try jacking car and turn wheel by hand to see if you hear it. See if you can maybe make a recording of the sound(s). Recommend a re-torquing of the rear axle nut if you have not already done that.

My take is the forum members will need more details to help in detail.

Here are some posts/ sites to get you started.

https://www.s2ki.com/2012/09/21/reto...ow-to-and-why/

https://robrobinette.com/S2000Bearing.htm

S2000.club [Your Honda S2000 Resource]

Best if luck to you!

Michael

Old 10-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Well, I am just shooting darts here but I think I would take a look at your brakes on the right side of the car. It may explain the "hissing" sound and who knows, maybe explain the scraping as well. A dragging shoe or other part of the brakes making contact could do it. It could very well be the pads are shot and are making contact with the disc. Jack it up and rotate the tires. Have someone depress the brake pedal as the tires are spun.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all get a piece of pipe or a section of hose you can fit a quarter in and do your best to locate the noise. Might be wise to watch some videos on youtube for common areas to examine. Lastly, if you want any help from us you will have to post a recording.

Do everything you can think of to reproduce or change the sound. Jack the car up and have someone do things while you sit by the engine with the hose.

Last edited by bradyn; 10-13-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Thank you everyone for the info & help so far! I will try to get a recording of the sound and more specifics for you soon. Someone told me it sounds like possibly my rotor for the hissing sound & probably my brakes for the squealing sound in reverse.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bradyn
First of all get a piece of pipe or a section of hose you can fit a quarter in and do your best to locate the noise. Might be wise to watch some videos on youtube for common areas to examine. Lastly, if you want any help from us you will have to post a recording.

Do everything you can think of to reproduce or change the sound. Jack the car up and have someone do things while you sit by the engine with the hose.
Here is a recording of the hissing sound, you can hear it very clearly towards the end of the video after i make a turn and start accelerating again. Its the consistent “SSSSSSS” sound throughout the video.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Badm0n
Here is a recording of the hissing sound, you can hear it very clearly towards the end of the video after i make a turn and start accelerating again. Its the consistent “SSSSSSS” sound throughout the video.

https://youtu.be/6amB5DljHSE

Its most noticeable at 30-37 seconds
Old 10-14-2019, 04:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Inaudible to me.

-- Chuck
Old 10-14-2019, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Inaudible to me.

-- Chuck
If you play it with the loudest volume you can hear it, from 0 - 15 seconds and then it stops as I came to a stop & then you can hear it again. Sounds like a light metal scraping sound.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe I had a similar sound and it was either a flimsy Honda del sol break shield that was rubbing after a break job, or it was the time I installed my break pad clips backwards on my del sol, I forget which. To me it sounds like a wheel well hiss and it could be related to break pads or rotors too. only see it being pads if there's an imprint on rotors though. I hear cracked rotors are common on s2000 because they don't have ventilation holes stock but I don't know much about that myself, just something to be mindful about.

For me my brakeshield hiss happened when the vehicle was rolling and I think it would go away intermittently but not for long . I don't remember exactly what it was because I was a kid with my first del sol but it was one of those things, rotors, pad clips, @/or breakshield. I remember my rotor was scarred but wasn't easy to spot till it was off so examine them for sure.

Definitely try to locate the sound, get someone to walk alongside wheels and go around. if my memory serves me correctly the clips hiss got worse with speed and the rubbing break shield plate incident behind the rotor didn't. I'm leaning towards break shield though.

Last edited by bradyn; 10-17-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird sound coming from drivers side!