S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird Scraping sound rear end

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Scraping sound rear end

Hey guys,

I am usually good at determining where sounds are coming from but this one is tough. When I am driving my S sometimes I hear this scarping noise like the brakes are worn down but they are not. When I had it jacked up I looked for small rocks, listened for noises, nothing. When its on the ground and I am rolling in gear I hear the scarping noise, louder when I turn. If I put in the clutch it seems to go away. The only thing I have done in the past 5 months is swap the boots of the CV shafts because I had a vibration in the rear which went away.

Any advice would be great its annoying!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 PM

Do you notice if it gets louder when you turn left or right?
It could be a wheel Bearing (although in my experience sounds more like a helicopter sound) or check the wear indicator on the brakes to see if it is rubbing.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Aliminator
Do you notice if it gets louder when you turn left or right?
It could be a wheel Bearing (although in my experience sounds more like a helicopter sound) or check the wear indicator on the brakes to see if it is rubbing.
I checked the wear on the breaks all around they all look really good. I jacked the car up and felt no wobble in the wheels indicating a bad wheel bearing. I also removed the wheel and put the car in gear and heard nothing.

This only happens when I am driving at slow speeds and louder when I turn the wheel. It sounds like the metal rotor protector touching the rotor but it is not i checked.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 AM

take off your rotors and check the back plates, if there are marks then your rotors are the noise makers.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by downloader
take off your rotors and check the back plates, if there are marks then your rotors are the noise makers.
That's a very good point I should have did that when I first took the wheels off. I will see if I can do that this week.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Also, check the Clutch Master Cylinder... I had this problem recently too, and got it replaced.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

a note: just because a wheel bearing doesn't have play, doesn't mean its bad. a good way to tell is have both rear wheels off the ground and the car in neutral and the ebrake off. and have someone spin the wheel and grab the spring. there should be no roughness(vibrations) felt.

but yeah do what downloader said, and check the backing plates rubbing the rotors. but also check the feelers on the pads. but another thing is sometimes there are hard spots in the pads that can cause a squeal even without breaking.

but its odd that it goes away after you press the clutch in.....hummm did you add enough grease in the CV joints? because if you didn't or the axles are bad. when you are in gear the axles have a load, and when you press the clutch in they are "unloaded" they still have a load on them just not as severe as with it in gear and coasting or accelerating.