S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird reset maint light + A/C problem

Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A condenser can be had for under $300.00:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...C+++++CONDENSER
They're charging you $500.00 to swap it out and recharge the system. How much is their labour hourly rate and how many hours is the "book" spec for doing this job? From this, you can do your own estimate.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I recall the conversation, I'm not sure if he said condensor or compressor... either way where might one get his grubby hands on that "book" I've always been curious about that. I did some searching and it seems its pretty standard for any AC repair stuff to be around 600-700 ish, so I figured i'm not getting royally screwed. I was just curious because I've only been going to this dealer for a year and not sure how reputable they were. Thanks.

p.s. what do you do that lets you spend all this time reading and posting =p

Also, I did a price look up on the parts already on that same site before I posted, just wasn't sure if the labor part looked right. If I know where to get that "book" info, I'd be set.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Sep 1 2005, 10:45 AM
either way where might one get his grubby hands on that "book"

Each Honda dealer has a "book" that gives the standardized number of hours any job "should" take. You would have to know someone in the business to gain access to this information.

I work 4 days ON, 4 days OFF. Even during work, we have a lot of "down time" where we while away the time waiting for that next response (Fire Dept.). When I'm at home, my computer is on all the time. I just check for email notifications of new replies whenever I walk by it.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 1 2005, 11:27 AM
Each Honda dealer has a "book" that gives the standardized number of hours any job "should" take. You would have to know someone in the business to gain access to this information.
That's what I figured. I was just hoping it was otherwise...

So, being a fireman with a s2k, do you get like double the ladies?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Sep 1 2005, 12:53 PM
That's what I figured. I was just hoping it was otherwise...

So, being a fireman with a s2k, do you get like double the ladies?
I'm married and I'm an old geezer. I just "window shop".
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Aug 31 2005, 08:53 AM
Out of curiosity...did you have it on defrost? you can reprogram your air conditioning so it doesn't come on automatically when you defrost.
Actually, it still comes on. The difference is that you can turn it off.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=xviper,Sep 1 2005, 12:05 PM] I just "window shop".
Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Sep 1 2005, 12:45 PM
Now that I recall the conversation, I'm not sure if he said condensor or compressor... either way where might one get his grubby hands on that "book" I've always been curious about that. I did some searching and it seems its pretty standard for any AC repair stuff to be around 600-700 ish, so I figured i'm not getting royally screwed. I was just curious because I've only been going to this dealer for a year and not sure how reputable they were. Thanks.

Also, I did a price look up on the parts already on that same site before I posted, just wasn't sure if the labor part looked right. If I know where to get that "book" info, I'd be set.
It's very unlikely that a stone would damage the compressor - it's on the front of the engine. On the other hand, the condensor sits right out in front of the radiator. I think there's a receiver/drier in front of it, as well. Either of these could be the first thing hit by a stone that went through the grille area.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Sep 1 2005, 03:32 PM
It's very unlikely that a stone would damage the compressor - it's on the front of the engine. On the other hand, the condensor sits right out in front of the radiator. I think there's a receiver/drier in front of it, as well. Either of these could be the first thing hit by a stone that went through the grille area.
You are correct. They replaced the condensor and the blower. They did this for $800 including overnight shipping of the parts. The A/C seems like it's working fine now, but when I have it just on fan it seems warmer than it should be. I have the temp dial all the way left (max blue). Did they do something wrong on install or is this normal? Before with fan just on it would blow the same temp air as the outside air, but now it definately seems warmer. It sucks how a dealer charges high rates and still messes things up.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Sep 6 2005, 06:40 AM
I have it just on fan it seems warmer than it should be. I have the temp dial all the way left (max blue). Did they do something wrong on install or is this normal? Before with fan just on it would blow the same temp air as the outside air, but now it definately seems warmer. It sucks how a dealer charges high rates and still messes things up.
They may have disturbed the water valve by the battery. Check to see that there is full movement of the valve when you turn the temp knob.

Quick Reply: Weird reset maint light + A/C problem