S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird noise during right hard cornering only

Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise during right hard cornering only

Hello,

After trying my luck with the search function the last couple weeks, I decided to ask for your opinion.
It all started 6 months ago.
During a very spirited mountain driving and after a really HARD right cornering, I heard for first time a ticking noise.

The following 2 months I didn't give full attention to this noise because if I drive without hard cornering I don't hear any noise at all (the car isn't DD).
The noise can be heard only when the car is warm (not at the first miles after cold start).
The last month when the car gets warm, the noise gets worst.

Now at hard right cornering I am hearing a sound like a spray with paint (with little ball inside) when we shake it before we use it.
The sound from the spray as we shake it is very similar to the sound that I am hearing.
I am 90% positive that I am hearing the noise from the front left wheel (driver's side)
Also I am almost sure that the frequency of the noise has to do with the rotation of the wheel because I can change it (frequency) when I turn the steering wheel even more.

The noise doesn’t stop when I hit the brake during cornering.
I can still hear it without any gear in gearbox as I turn.
When the car is warm and the noise is heard, I can hear it NOT only during hard cornering but with 20-30 mph as well.
This noise becomes even nastier when I turn in right downhill corners (warm car).

The last 4 months I have tried without result the following:

Check and torque lug nuts

Re-torque (new spec) axle nuts

Check and torque all bolts underneath

Check entire rear system (suspension, axles, diff., even exhaust)

Check for any play in the wheels (there is barely if any)

I also want to add that the car is lowered with KW3 using the last 1.5 year Toyo R888 semi-slick tires only.
I think that my left front wheel bearing is what causes the noise, but my mechanic disagrees.
Can anyone confirm my concern or give me any other direction to search.
Any help/ suggestion/ opinion are more than welcome

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One common cause of ticking is a rear wheel bearing that is not torqued down (early spec was too light). Sometimes it is hard to locate where a noise is coming from. Find a thread detailing how to retorque the rear axle nuts.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
One common cause of ticking is a rear wheel bearing that is not torqued down (early spec was too light). Sometimes it is hard to locate where a noise is coming from. Find a thread detailing how to retorque the rear axle nuts.
Thank you for your reply
I have already done this properly (new spec) as I mention in my first post to the things I tried the last months.
I did everything I was advised by another respectable member in following topic
https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__20124986
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM

sounds like it might either might be an axle, but leaning more towards the diff
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by toniotran
sounds like it might either might be an axle, but leaning more towards the diff
So you think it's from the rear...
You don't think that maybe it's the front left wheel bearing.
Are you considering the axle or the diff because of the sound that I describe (little ball knocking) ?
Can you suggest me another way to find out for sure if it is anything from these two?
I mean how can I be sure about the axle or the diff before I replaced them.

Thank you for your time
Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 AM

I have a similar noise at the front left of my car, a knocking noise when I turn hard even at low speed corners. I have stopteck brake kit on. After inspection it seems to be the brake bracket being that supports the caliper being too thin. This is unacceptable from stoptech. In order to make the brakes fit they sliced the brackets to an unacceptable level. I have to strengthen that now some way. When the brakes heat up a bit the whole car judders and probably its stoptech's fault.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Im experiencing a very similar issue. Only right hand turns and they are typically louder when going faster. This happens without warming the car. I dont hear anything if i take a turn normally. Happens when im in neutral and brake or no brake. Any additional troubleshooting u tried?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM

anybody resolve this issue. I have the same problem when cornering right very hard. ap1 tho.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 PM

***UPDATE*** Hi guys, been awhile. It is not the rear axle nut as it has been tightened. That noise is getting worse. Now it is not just when cornering very hard; it will happen just driving normal. Then sometimes it doesnt make any noise. Scenario: I'll drive into second gear and then let go of the gas without depressing clutch to slow down for a red light and then that noise is very loud (click click click click click). I depress the clutch and it goes away. Also when I back out of a parking spot I hear click click click. Sometimes i can feel it in the stick shifter but it cannot be transmission since i drive it like mad.

I can still drive my car very hard redline and cornering so i don't think it's the drivetrain. Somebody local mentioned it could be a cv joint/boot..... the bearing on the axle? what do you guys think?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 AM

Received 444 Likes on 367 Posts

Unfortunately once the clicking starts it seems like it's already too late. By now your bearing and hub are shot, tightening the axle nut is done to prevent this from happening, it will not cure a worn wheel bearing and hub.

Quick Reply: Weird noise during right hard cornering only