S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird misfire

Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Weird misfire

EDIT: Did it again today and set a code for Cyl 1 Misfire and Random Cyl Misfire. Should I replace the coilpack on Cyl 1?

This morning was kinda chilly out so I deiced to let the car warm up for a few min before heading out to work, after going back inside to grab my lunch I was putting it in the truck and as I'm standing there listening to the car I'm thinking to myself, why the hell does my car sound like it's misfiring? So I sit inside and see my CEL is flashing, I immediately turned the car off waited a few seconds then turn it back on. No CEL, no misfire, nothing. The car was perfectly fine on my drive to and from work.

Any reason what this could be? I know it's hard to find out the issue without a hardcode from the ECU but so far the car drives normal.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try scanning it anyways. I had a misfire before and it flashed like 10 times then turned off. Maybe it flashed while you went inside? Then again, you would be able to feel the sh*tty idle if it was a misfire.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM

I saw the CEL flashing when I sat inside the car, turn the car off, then back on and everything was normal. Hasn't done it since this morning.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what happened to mine. 2 months ago. I also cleared the code and it would come back after like 20 miles each time. I ended up taking it in for a valve adjustment and I had to rebuild my head. Cracked retainers, springs, bent valve stem, etc... $2,100 later my car is in perfect working order lol! Just be careful and don't take a lot of time to fix the problem. First try some new good gas with fuel cleaner, after that try swapping coils, after that spark plugs, then valve adjustment. I went straight from new gas and fuel cleaner to valve adjustment and just had them check my coil on the cylinder that was misfiring. Let me know what happens.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 AM

Did it again today and set a code for Cyl 1 Misfire and Random Cyl Misfire. Should I replace the coilpack on Cyl 1?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Move the suspected coil pack around and see if it follows? That's the cheapest(free) option for troubleshooting right now.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:57 AM

I bought a new coil from work, gonna swap them around before I put the new one in.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I recently had p0303 and p1399. cleared the code and have since ran about 3k and no code. Im hoping ts just my plugs need replacing, havent pulled them yet. Ran some techron injector cleaner. Only symptom I could notice is a slight misfire on cold idle for the last few months.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a misfire on one of cylinders before...turns out I just needed a valve adjustment.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM

So after being at work for 8hrs and not being able to concentrate since I was thinking about my car the whole time LOL I finally swapped coils 1 and 2 around, started the car and everything was 100% normal. Before I left for work in the morning I had cleared the code and the CEL is not flashing or staying on. I talked to a few techs at work and they told me that coil could have a hairline crack in it and be affected by the moisture. I bought an extra coil just for the sake of it and I'll be keeping it in the trunk.

Originally Posted by starchland
I recently had p0303 and p1399. cleared the code and have since ran about 3k and no code. Im hoping ts just my plugs need replacing, havent pulled them yet. Ran some techron injector cleaner. Only symptom I could notice is a slight misfire on cold idle for the last few months.
That's pretty much what's happening to me so far, only started happening now when it's cooler with more moisture in the air.

Originally Posted by rip_ej1
I had a misfire on one of cylinders before...turns out I just needed a valve adjustment.
Hmm, interesting.

Quick Reply: Weird misfire