S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

weird experiance with clutch

Old 06-17-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default weird experiance with clutch

So after the dragon my clutch has wanted to slip a bit during quickshifts. Which it never did before. (20k miles 04 ap2 w/255 RE50s in the rear)

Before I could chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift. And each and every shift was crisp, with zero slip. But @ WTD, I attempted to spin the tires in order to turn the car quickly out of a lookout. (the idea being to not have to do a 3 point turn) Instead my clutch slipped like mad and i went no where.

ever since then my clutch would slip consistantly on high rpm shifts. So i thought being nice to the clutch and rpm matching like i normally do would solve the problem. But it never went away. Still slips on high rpm shifts.

Until today....

I am on the way to movie and decide to stop at Taco Bell real quick and grab something to smuggle in. Well they ask me to wait, but forget about me and I end up waiting 10 mins..I say F'it and take off. > I once again tried to spin the tires while turning. I dumped the clutch while turning and instead of wheelspin i get LOTS of clutch slip. Dammit!

So i go to the movie and afterwards on my way home I decide to test the clutch and do a quick 1-2 shift and instead of clutch slip I get LOTS of grip and the tires chirp.

I enjoyed every minuite of the ride home with my clutch being grippy as it used to be.

So can anyone explain WTF happened lol?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be possible you glazed the clutch at some point and it took a while for you to wear it down to an operable point again? I'm just taking a guess, I could be totally wrong. Do you still have the CDV installed?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CDV finally got the best of you and your clutch...... ouch!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I swear its like the CDV doesnt operate consistantly.

for the first 15k miles I could blow the tires off shifting from 1-2nd. Then I glazed the clutch and i guess the CDV decided to work for a while. Then suddently I have my grip back again. I tested it again today and the clutch has uber grip going into 2nd and even in the higher gears on the highway.

I do have the CDV installed. (as far as i know) I have not removed it because until now it seemed pretty transparent. I ran the dragon several times on different occations without any clutch slip at all. Even after beating on the car all day with super quick shifts. Nothing.

I am assuming your right Jsmply. However i tested the clutch a few days ago and it still slipped. Until last night when i slipped the crap out of it, but afterwards I was blessed with great grip.

:/ f'n weird.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Jun 18 2007, 01:46 PM
I swear its like the CDV doesnt operate consistantly.

for the first 15k miles I could blow the tires off shifting from 1-2nd. Then I glazed the clutch and i guess the CDV decided to work for a while. Then suddently I have my grip back again. I tested it again today and the clutch has uber grip going into 2nd and even in the higher gears on the highway.

I do have the CDV installed. (as far as i know) I have not removed it because until now it seemed pretty transparent. I ran the dragon several times on different occations without any clutch slip at all. Even after beating on the car all day with super quick shifts. Nothing.

I am assuming your right Jsmply. However i tested the clutch a few days ago and it still slipped. Until last night when i slipped the crap out of it, but afterwards I was blessed with great grip.

:/ f'n weird.
Well even though after looking at the CDV in the palm of my hand, I can't understand how its inconsistent, I swear I noticed something similiar with mine. Sometimes on hard redline shifts, there would be noticeable clutch slip that slowed me down. Then sometimes, it would grip right away. I realize it could have been my timing and learning to shift around the CDV, but it never changed. I removed mine and never looked back. Since then I had the hardtopguy clutch kit put in and its all grip and no slip The AP2 flywheel is kind of heavy anyway, I'm really suprised you were able to spin the tires on 1st to 2nd shifts that intensly. I've noticed slight chirps, but they are very minor and few and far between.

My advice if it were me would be to remove the CDV . . . however it sounds like you are pretty tough on your car. If you have a lot of experiance and know what your doing then go at it, but if not I'd be a little weary for you diff and the rest of the driveline behind the clutch as it sounds like you may put it through some tough trials. I don't know you at all though, so you might be the best drive in the world, just stating that as a disclaimer .

Report back to us and let us know what happens. I know how frustrating it is, with the CDV I never was totally confident in the results of a shift. Now with the CDV removed (and the hardtopguy clutch kit with the stronger pressure plate) I am confident I'll get all grip everytime.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Jun 18 2007, 01:58 PM
The AP2 flywheel is kind of heavy anyway, I'm really suprised you were able to spin the tires on 1st to 2nd shifts that intensly. I've noticed slight chirps, but they are very minor and few and far between.

Now with the CDV removed (and the hardtopguy clutch kit with the stronger pressure plate) I am confident I'll get all grip everytime.
I think you have it wrong. The heavier flywheel seems to make the tires chirp easier. I have the HardtopGuy clutch package btw.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Jun 18 2007, 02:15 PM
I think you have it wrong. The heavier flywheel seems to make the tires chirp easier. I have the HardtopGuy clutch package btw.
Sorta I think I worded it wrong. I didn't mean that the lighter flywheel made it easier to chirp the tires, I meant that the heavier flywheel in the AP2 makes it harder to shift as fast.

The OEM flywheel on the AP2 is heavier than the AP2 flywheel. The AP2 flywheel is about 25 pounds if memory serves, I think the AP1 is in the high teens, 18-ish?

The AP1 flywheel itself is a "lightweight flywheel" for the AP2, the toda/comptech/spoon/fidanze/etc is a majorly light flywheel for the AP2. Billman and a few others have stated that it is not possible to shift a STOCK AP2 as fast as an AP1. Combined with the CDV, it is very rare that a STOCK AP2 chirps the tires.

Hopefully that makes more sense, if not then I concede in advance, its been a long day
Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Jun 18 2007, 03:36 PM
Sorta I think I worded it wrong. I didn't mean that the lighter flywheel made it easier to chirp the tires, I meant that the heavier flywheel in the AP2 makes it harder to shift as fast.

The OEM flywheel on the AP2 is heavier than the AP2 flywheel. The AP2 flywheel is about 25 pounds if memory serves, I think the AP1 is in the high teens, 18-ish?

The AP1 flywheel itself is a "lightweight flywheel" for the AP2, the toda/comptech/spoon/fidanze/etc is a majorly light flywheel for the AP2. Billman and a few others have stated that it is not possible to shift a STOCK AP2 as fast as an AP1. Combined with the CDV, it is very rare that a STOCK AP2 chirps the tires.

Hopefully that makes more sense, if not then I concede in advance, its been a long day
Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't trying to argue for arguments sake, I was trying to help my fellow s2ki'ers out and keep them from buying something that they don't need. The sifting is faster but the extra weight in the heavier flywheel will make it easier to chirp the tires because it will have more inertia. Ged rid of the clutch delay valve and I think and AP2 would be chirp its tires easier than AP1. I love the lightened flywheel however because it makes for more rewarding heel-toeing
Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM

It's actually pretty easy to get the AP1 tires to chirp on the 1-2 shift, even when you're not trying to chirp them. The video link below shows how easy it was to chirp the tires on my car back when it was stock (except for an AEM V1). At the time I was NOT trying to get them to bark. It was just one of the side effects of a quick shift. If I had been trying to bark the tires there would have been one continuous squeel rather than two chirps. You may have to turn up the volume a bit to hear the tires chirp during the shift.
Please right-click and save-as.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Jun 18 2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't trying to argue for arguments sake, I was trying to help my fellow s2ki'ers out and keep them from buying something that they don't need. The sifting is faster but the extra weight in the heavier flywheel will make it easier to chirp the tires because it will have more inertia. Ged rid of the clutch delay valve and I think and AP2 would be chirp its tires easier than AP1. I love the lightened flywheel however because it makes for more rewarding heel-toeing
Oh I agree, I didn't want to argue at all man! We are all here just to help further the s2ki ownership experiance. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off myseslf.

For the record, I would not encourage anyone to buy anything as a neccesity. I don't think the AP2 driveline (or the AP1) needs anything to be competant for its intended use, however in some extreme uses the driver might benefit from things like lighter flywheels, CDV removals, stronger pressure plates, etc (and thats when you call hardtopguy, lol).

Quick Reply: weird experiance with clutch