S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird creek/rattle coming from under the car.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weird creek/rattle coming from under the car.

Hey guys, recently I started to get this noise under the car when I take off usually but I'll hear it randomly even after I've already got a decent pace going. At first I thought it was maybe my clutch but I've had my clutch and flywheel setup for almost 2k miles already (lightweight flywheel and exedy oem replacement) with little to no noise, not to mention I have never heard this at idle whatsoever. I've looked up video's regarding axle nuts and it doesn't seem consistent with anything I heard on YouTube so I thought I'd ask here so this is where most of the gurus' hang out.

Thanks for any info regarding the sound, I plan on taking it in soon to have it looked at once the mechanic I go to is back in town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXhO12FkNAM
Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

When were your wheel bearings last replaced?

I had a similar sound when one of wheel bearings was going bad and I mostly noticed it when driving up alongside a wall where the sound would echo.

Have you had any other work done to the car recently?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet

I had a similar sound when one of wheel bearings was going bad and I mostly noticed it when driving up alongside a wall where the sound would echo.

I haven't replaced them in my ownership of the car. I bought it with 79k and I'm at 94k now, the only thing that has been replaced is the wheels recently but they are of a decent offset and nothing out of the ordinary. In most cases I would hear howling from my wheel barrings before any type of noise change/failure. Did you any loud rumbling sounds or just a sound similar to this here?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1442981282' post='23755168

I haven't replaced them in my ownership of the car. I bought it with 79k and I'm at 94k now, the only thing that has been replaced is the wheels recently but they are of a decent offset and nothing out of the ordinary. In most cases I would hear howling from my wheel barrings before any type of noise change/failure. Did you any loud rumbling sounds or just a sound similar to this here?
When my wheel bearing went I didn't even really notice any howling, I mostly noticed strange grinding noises at lower speeds when driving against a curb/wall where I could hear the sound being bounced back.

I am not confident that is your problem, but I'm just trying to see if there is a possibility.

For the record my rear passenger wheel bearing went at 120k.

I would be interested to see what other people say.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1442981814' post='23755176
[quote name='Soviet' timestamp='1442981282' post='23755168']

When my wheel bearing went I didn't even really notice any howling, I mostly noticed strange grinding noises at lower speeds when driving against a curb/wall where I could hear the sound being bounced back.

I am not confident that is your problem, but I'm just trying to see if there is a possibility.

[/quote]

Interesting. I can say one thing, the pop that I got when reversing my car at startup is very consistent with what people have said to be a symptom of the rear axle bolt. I'm going to order a pair and re torque in hopes that it fixes the problem, should it not though I think I'm going to have to move onto the wheel bearings.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1442983675' post='23755190
[quote name='Thateguhate' timestamp='1442981814' post='23755176']

[/quote]

Interesting. I can say one thing, the pop that I got when reversing my car at startup is very consistent with what people have said to be a symptom of the rear axle bolt. I'm going to order a pair and re torque in hopes that it fixes the problem, should it not though I think I'm going to have to move onto the wheel bearings.
[/quote]

Yeah before even thinking about the wheel bearings definitely re-torque the axle nuts. It's actually quite difficult to get something that will torque that high so I ended up getting a 3 foot breaker bar from amazon. The only other thing you should need is a 36MM socket.

Interested to hear how it goes.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1442985291' post='23755195
[quote name='Soviet' timestamp='1442983675' post='23755190']
[quote name='Thateguhate' timestamp='1442981814' post='23755176']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah before even thinking about the wheel bearings definitely re-torque the axle nuts. It's actually quite difficult to get something that will torque that high so I ended up getting a 3 foot breaker bar from amazon. The only other thing you should need is a 36MM socket.

Interested to hear how it goes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely follow up once I get the nuts and the proper tools to do it.