S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird Clunk/Thunk When Taking Slow Turns.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Clunk/Thunk When Taking Slow Turns.

Sup guys?

I have this weird problem that comes from the rear of my S. It only occurs when I take realllllyyyy slooowww turns with the clutch disengaged. Say i have to turn around in a neighborhood and i cruise at about 10 or slower with the steering at full lock "i.e. u-turns" I hear a constant "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK" with each rotation of the wheel. I know it's not the the wheel hubs, or axle nuts being tq'ed right cause i can tell the car has had that done before.

Im pretty sure it doesn't matter which way I turn, be that left or right, but it's really freaking annoying and everyone who rides in my car thinks its broken. :[

Suspension Mod's That I Know Of:
D2 Racing Coilover's.
Front bumpsteer kit
EVS Soild Rear Differential Mount Collar Things. (I honestly dont know much about them at all, other than the fact that they help "Deliver the power to the wheels better")

Anything you guys can think of? i searched all over and couldn't really find much on my specific situation.

****Another weird rear suspension related question****

Whenever im driving down the highway and it's raining or significantly wet out, it feels like the rear end kicks left and right randomly? like occasional slight pulls to the left and right.

All help is appreciated!

Vince.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM

just a guess, but the solid collar mounts for the diff MAY be your problem? in a 4wd vehicle, the tires will chirp when you turn slow and in a tight radius. Same thing with old muscle cars with solid rear axles. The outside wheels needs to able to turn faster than the inside wheel but it can't because they're loced to the same speed
Old 04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with the coilovers. Check the springs, spring perch etc first.

What condition and the types of tires are you running? The left and right pulls might be related to your tires "tracking" on grooves in the road.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Tires are brand new michelen pilot sports. 245/40 on ap2v1s. Dropped to about 3/4 inch rear and 1/4 inch front. (fender to wheel gap, never owned the car when it was at stock height so I don't know the actual drop)

Checked the boots, nothing is ripped or torn! I have no idea! Everything is nice and tight fml. Maybe my diff is on its way out?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the diff collars do is remove compliance from the differential IE not allow it to move as much as it would with stock mounts. It provides a more direct feel and quicker/more direct application of acceleration/deceleration. With any powertrain mount fix, I always notice the difference when downshifting. Each upgraded mount has made heel-toe downshifts so much easier to complete smoothly.

I would lift the rear of the car and go over each bolt in the suspension assembly. Also, try turning the wheels at different rates (you may need a second person for this. Try and recreate the sound and track it from there.