S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

weird 6th gear

Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy weird 6th gear

I'm having a bit of difficulty at times when I shift into 6th gear. Its not terribly rough, just not as smooth as I can remember. I had my fluids last changed in 9/2008 and even then, shifting wasn't phenomenally smooth.

I don't like to down shift because I think it wastes gas and also, mainly because I'm lazy. I've heard that if you don't downshift from 6th to 5th it screws it up somehow.

Additionally, I have grinded my gears in the past from driving in heels or driving "tired" so I don't know if this may be a possible cause. This doesn't occur frequently though.

Does anyone know what might be the problem and if it's easily fixable?

My apologies for if this is a duplicate post.

Thank You,
Macy
Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

Sounds like a possible bad or going bad 6th gear synchro, specially if you skip gears when down shifting or if you shifted from 2nd to 5th a few times, accidentally or not. The accidental shift from 2nd to 5th may cause the 6th gear lockout issue were you wont be able to select it at all.

You wont waste more gas when downshifting. The air/fuel mix goes all lean in this scenario so don't worry. As you know the S2K requires more gear shifting work when being used around town as a daily driver, but it is what it is, just have to do it
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by CapoArgentino,May 16 2010, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a possible bad or going bad 6th gear synchro, specially if you skip gears when down shifting or if you shifted from 2nd to 5th a few times, accidentally or not. The accidental shift from 2nd to 5th may cause the 6th gear lockout issue were you wont be able to select it at all.

You wont waste more gas when downshifting. The air/fuel mix goes all lean in this scenario so don't worry. As you know the S2K requires more gear shifting work when being used around town as a daily driver, but it is what it is, just have to do it
this is terrible news. i guess ill try to downshift more often then..

this is reversible right?

thanks for your input!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

^^ That was merely an assumption from experience. I'd have to drive your car to be more sure Hopefully it wont get worse. Dont worry to much but yeah, learn to love those downshifts
Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 PM

I would suggest cleaning/re-greasing your shifter. Not sure if this will fix your problem, But my shifting was feeling very notchy and it would be kinda tough to get from 5th to 6th and hard to find reverse. After I Regreased the shifter the difference was like night and day. I am almost sure I saw a DIY here before. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 AM

also replace the plastic ball on the end of the shifter they were out over time. also maybe get some redline mt oil. might help the shifting
Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 PM

Heres the DIY:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=772277&st=0
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM

thanks trbod00 and swervinzx6r for the input!

but swervinzx6r, I cut my shifter awhile back to make it shorter.. I suppose almost a diy short shifter. A mechanic friend helped me do it so it turned out good but regardless, I'm still scared to mess with it since we physically cut off a good chunk of the rod. I'm not so sure how the integrity might be compromised if I were to take anything apart.. ?

btw, I've been downshifting more and yes, it does waste more gas.

idk. ill give these a shot once im done abusing my car. havent even washed it since november so maintenance is likely not going to happen anytime soon.

thx again!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM

If you just removed some off the top of the shifter you should be fine with removing it. I would think since its shorter that the amount of leverage you use to shift isnt as much as when it was at stock height.

If you still dont feel comfortable with it I would suggest taking it to your mechanic. It shouldnt cost much nor will it take alot of time.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,393 Likes on 1,039 Posts

When you cut a shifter short, the effort to go into gear will be greater. Shorter lever for the same amount of effort.

You just nipped the tip. It's not going to affect anything if you take it apart. It's just shorter. Example: cut the top off your antenna. Now unscrew it. It's just shorter. It didn't fly apart.

You don't have to downshift to keep the trans running smoothly. You really don't have to do much at all. Messing up a 6th gear synchro is admirable. That takes a lot of messing up.

Infact, downshifting should only be done if you know how to do it. You have to rev match well or it will take a toll on your clutch and motor mounts and other driveline components....which are relatively expensive to replace. Yes, it uses slightly more gas because you're blipping the throttle to downshift.

You might just need to regrease the shifter where it meets the linkage. Or replace the plastic ball if it's worn out. Your last fluid change at 9/2008 might mean you need new fluids. But it depends on how many miles you drove since then.

BTW, Does driving "tired" mean driving drunk? CLASSIC!