S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A week of troubleshooting with no luck!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 1 2009, 09:54 AM
Kinda OT, but there are a few other shops in the area that do just as good if not better work than S&R
Thanks Hater!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM

do you have a pic of the plugs from cylinder #3 and #4.

i think you might just have clogged injectors, and the cylinders are running lean and the computer is trying to compensate and that is why you have the crapy gas mileage. best bet check injectors and fuel pump for good mesures.

by the way i us med grade gas and my car runs fine, it gives me better gas milege.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:26 PM

try this
take out the injectors and tap them on your hand upside down and try to get the crap out, then get som injector cleanor and put it in the tank when you have low gas and let it run should solve the problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero,Sep 1 2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks Hater!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Hey dude, I kind of had the same problem. If you have EVER misshifted and own an AP1, i suggest you check your retainers. I tried everything on the list and nothing. Finally checked the retainers, replaced them with AP2 retainers, adjusted my valves, and the problem went away.. It's been over a month now.

p1399 if i remember was something about needing a valve adjustment. cracked retainers drop valves so check it out...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if you checked the loss motion assemblies like i told you to. My car had the same problem as yours and thats what it turned out to be
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Freddy,Sep 1 2009, 05:27 PM
Hey dude, I kind of had the same problem. If you have EVER misshifted and own an AP1, i suggest you check your retainers. I tried everything on the list and nothing. Finally checked the retainers, replaced them with AP2 retainers, adjusted my valves, and the problem went away.. It's been over a month now.

p1399 if i remember was something about needing a valve adjustment. cracked retainers drop valves so check it out...
Working on it. Symptoms and description buy owner lead to bad gas. Coils O.K. now, Plugs O.K., injectors O.K., fuel pressure O.K. Valves were reallLLLLLLy tight. Codes other than misfire were for EGR. A lot of crap in the EGR. Now, I have driven the car for over 30 miles no CEL. New gas and some more trouble shooting and it WILL be better.

This has been a strange one. Other than a EGR code it has all been misfires. I have seen several cars with bad gas do this but it takes some time to work it all out.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi i just wanted to tell you that had the same code before on my s2k and the way i got it to go was a valve adjustment again. even though the car just had one about 2k before i bought it. with the valve adjusted my hp went up also here is a graph to prove that when it had miss fire and when it was readjusted

http://www.humbleperformance.com/forum/pic...-1239833696.jpg

here is a clip of how it idle while the miss fire was still there. notice how i gas it pass 1500rpm and the cars comes back and idle fine but anything below the car will idle real low
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v105gNl5-9I [/media]

well i hope that might help you out. good luck and keeps us updated.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM

Wow...it seems like everyone had more or less the same symptoms but almost everyone had different issues, Jeff has my car and he is working on it, seems like this is a weird one!

Blacknot, I will ask him to check the loss motion assemblies, I have no idea what that is but I will discuss it with Jeff. Thanks.

Hershey, My car idled like that too for a while but it's idling fine now. Right after the valve adjustment that we did to fix the too tight adjustment was when we actually made it lose and this started happening, so I need another valve adjustment for sure.

Thanks everyone for your input, I hope to have my baby back in perfect condition asap...crossing my fingers and hoping for the best

Also, in order to have cracked retainers or bent valves, won't you have loss of compression or something like that?

I did not check for retainers or valves but I did compression test and it came out fine?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero,Sep 1 2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks Hater!
Its all love Jeff.

Quick Reply: A week of troubleshooting with no luck!