S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

wear on inside front tires, alignment or shocks

Old 10-04-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wear on inside front tires, alignment or shocks

a few weeks ago, the honda dealer told me that the insides of my front tires are bald and i need an alignment

i went to a local shop and they told me that s2000 dont have adjustable alignment and that i probably need to replace my front shocks...he at least made me hesitate about thinking the alignment will solve it

i tend to believe the dealer, can anybody give me advice?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The S2000 is fully adjustable for alignment. The local shop is wrong and doesn't deserve any future business.

If the inside edges are worn, it could be too much toe out or too much negative camber. It would be worth having the alignment checked.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Oct 4 2005, 11:34 AM
The S2000 is fully adjustable for alignment. The local shop is wrong and doesn't deserve any future business.

If the inside edges are worn, it could be too much toe out or too much negative camber. It would be worth having the alignment checked.
And they wont get any!

perfect, ill have the alignment checked out, big thanks for your help
Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, yep, it's alignment, and yep, that shop is populated by morons.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:10 PM

Hi:
AFAIK, the front inner edges are supposed to wear faster. The idea is to make the front wheel lean in a bit, and then it will flatten out and grip corners better. I try to get as close to the european alinement specs as I can. I figure my Civic is the car with long wearing tyres.

My vote is your alinement is fine.
-s
Old 10-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Inner tire wear is typically a result of toe; camber is secondary to that. If the wear is severe and the mileage not appropriate to the wear shown then alignment is a factor.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Oct 4 2005, 12:59 PM
Mark, yep, it's alignment, and yep, that shop is populated by morons.
Sounds more like it is populated by grifters, who are hoping their customers are morons. Lot more profit to be made by selling unneeded shock replacements than by just adjusting the alignment.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 4 2005, 04:17 PM
Sounds more like it is populated by grifters, who are hoping their customers are morons. Lot more profit to be made by selling unneeded shock replacements than by just adjusting the alignment.
You forget, shops like that will sell you the new shock (and labor) and than charge you for the alignment that you truely will need after replacing the shock. Since only one tire is wearing funny it is almost certainly an alignment issue.

edit: I guess it is both front tires, my guess is that they both have too much toe (should be around zero)
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Almost all s2k's driven on straight roads will wear the inside of the tires. If you regularly cut turns, it will be pretty even. If you track, it will wear the outside.

No way to say for sure without pics, but your car sounds normal. An alignment would be the best, and for peace of mind.

The is NO WAY the shocks are at fault.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by billman250,Oct 4 2005, 02:48 PM
Almost all s2k's driven on straight roads will wear the inside of the tires. If you regularly cut turns, it will be pretty even. If you track, it will wear the outside.
All of this is dependent on alignment. To say that someone will wear the outsides of their tires at the track makes certain assumptions that you're not qualified to make without knowing what their alignment currently is.

The fact that it's front tires and not rears that are being discussed is even more indicative of the fact that's it's a misalignment issue since we all know that rears wear out faster, right?

Quick Reply: wear on inside front tires, alignment or shocks