S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weak retainers?

Old 07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weak retainers?

One of my other board member friends said something about replacing his retainers...this I found odd. He only has 60k miles (although a lot of them under boost via vortech) and had been told the retainers were a weak link to the F20 and were the problem for many blown engines due to dropped valves. This now has me a little concerned, due to the fact that I just adjusted my valves for my 75k maintance. Is this a valid concern or is it one of those freak accident things.

I know I can't afford to worry about this nor do I have the time to pull my head off to put retainers in. I've just never had any Honda with any retainer problems and was wondering if anyone else had any other input on this.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two intake retainers break.

However, I'm supercharged and running 11 psi of boost. I don't want to say anything now because I'm afraid Xviper will flame me either way if I try and give you any advice or advise you where I paid only $500 for SS valves, Ti retainers, and dual valve springs.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:35 PM

What the ?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jason00S2000,Jul 26 2004, 04:25 PM
However, I'm supercharged and running 11 psi of boost. I don't want to say anything now because I'm afraid Xviper will flame me either way if I try and give you any advice or advise you where I paid only $500 for SS valves, Ti retainers, and dual valve springs.
OK so I've seen this now in a couple of threads and I'll just comment once on this....

However valid or invalid your points are in the original thread, there is no need to continue this feud outside of that thread.....This behavior is befitting of someone much younger, please stop it....

If you have something valuable to share please do so. If you don't like what someone has to say about your posts, that's what the ignore button is for....
Old 07-26-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jason00S2000,Jul 26 2004, 05:25 PM
I've had two intake retainers break.

If you only have to pay $500 for the parts, you would be completely crazy not to jump on it especially if you are turbo or supercharged. The peace of mind from knowing that you will NEVER have to worry about over reving would be worth way more than $500. With Ti retainers and dual valve springs, I'd imagine you could rev to 11,000rpm or more. Now will the pistons and rods hold up to that rpm for many reliable miles,.....I doubt it.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa,Jul 26 2004, 04:03 PM
One of my other board member friends said something about replacing his retainers...this I found odd. He only has 60k miles (although a lot of them under boost via vortech) and had been told the retainers were a weak link to the F20 and were the problem for many blown engines due to dropped valves. This now has me a little concerned, due to the fact that I just adjusted my valves for my 75k maintance. Is this a valid concern or is it one of those freak accident things.

I know I can't afford to worry about this nor do I have the time to pull my head off to put retainers in. I've just never had any Honda with any retainer problems and was wondering if anyone else had any other input on this.
without a doubt replace your retainers with Ti and better springs while you are at it

I was very close to a major engine destruction, had I not overreved my engine by accident, which nothing major happened luckily, I woud have been headed for destruction days or weeks later by dropping valves as my retainers were cracking for some time...so do it!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD,Jul 26 2004, 05:43 PM
If you have something valuable to share please do so. If you don't like what someone has to say about your posts, that's what the ignore button is for....

I think the stock valvetrain on my car was just too tired after 80,000 kilometers of hard driving. I just think it's a wear issue.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:36 AM

i am interested in these items. where can i get them for this price???? thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While we're on the topic of retainers, are there any symptoms of retainers that are about to go? Any noises? Can they be inspected visually during a valve adjustment? Or do they just let loose?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:20 AM

i'm curios too, whats the lifespan of the stock retainers and other components

Quick Reply: Weak retainers?