S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

weak engine

Old 03-14-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak engine

i was at the honda dealer picking up a few clips and a tech came out and was talkin to me about my S they had one there that was identical to mine and had no motor cause it was blown he said it was a mis shift and he bent all the valves and distroyed al the pistons 1st part of the question is doesnt the rev limiter prevent mising a gear and over reving or do they mean maybe top of 3rd into 2nd and over reving it and then he went to tell me that the f20 and f22 do no take a beating like the B and H series motors and that the f20 - f22 motor are weak i had a gsr for 5 years and beat that car everyday of that and never had an engine problem so i knowe the B series motor are good but i thought the F would be better anyone know anything about this so i can calm my mind so i wont think my S will blow up tomorrow
Old 03-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

by "missed shift" he meant that the guy caused a mechanical overrev by putting it into the wrong gear.

the most common is on the 3-4 shift. you redline 3rd gear, go to shift to 4th, and instead, you death grip it into 2nd gear, and BAM. overrev. the rev limiter will NOT prevent a mechanical overrev, where the engine is forced up to such a high rpm. note, this is NOT the same as going through a gear, coming up to the redline and hitting the rev limiter. there, the rev limiter prevents you from going over it.

as for the F20/22 vs the B and H series, the guy is on crack, and is talking like your typical ignorant honda technician. People like him give the decent and skilled honda techs a bad name.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it REALLY hard to shove it into second at that point? Resistance?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 AM

calm your mind... your S wont blow up tomorrow. so long as you dont downshift into 2nd going 80. motors hold up pretty well. its just the morons who drive them that destroy them.

did you ever go past redline due to a downshift in your B/H series? i bet those engines hold up just as well as any others when they're screaming at what should be 9-10k RPMs (i.e. they blow up).

always take random conversations with a grain of salt.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wing,Mar 14 2006, 10:31 AM
nope. the synchros make sure of that. lol

did you ever go past redline due to a downshift in your B/H series? i bet those engines hold up just as well as any others when they're screaming at what should be 9-10k RPMs (i.e. they blow up).
exactly. put a B or H through an overrev like that, and they're gonna go boom just as easily.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wing,Mar 14 2006, 11:31 AM
Nope, it goes into 2nd like a knife through butter.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jebus dude, learn what a period is. I could barely read that mess, it was just one big sentence overrun. PUNCTUATION!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

By mis-shirt he could also mean that when he went to put it in gear, came short and hit the gas while the gear was in neutral... then yes the rev limiter would not allow that.

But if he accidentally placed the car into a much lower gear while shifting, then no, the limiter won't do a thing.

Andre
Old 03-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

correction... i meant mis-shift not mis-shirt
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 AM

I dont want to burst some bubbles here, but when I first started driving a 5 speed, I bought an LS integra with 135k on the clock.

When I didn't know how to drive, I shifted into 2nd from the top of 3rd, probably 3 times. Fuel cut on the LS is 7200, the long gear ratios of the LS tranny did not help the 3rd to 2nd mis-shift at all, hitting somewhere in the 9000+ range. every time I did this, I never bent a single valve, touched a piston with the valve. I had to adjust the valves all 3 times, and it was the same rocker that came loose every time. That motor lasted me boosted til 160k before it cracked the ringlands on the #3 piston under 10-11 psi of boosting for the past 2 years.

Its currently under reconstruction. I wouldn't say any other motor would blow up, I'm just saying mine was a damned soldier when it came to my ignorant ass back in the day.

Quick Reply: weak engine