S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

We can rebuild it... we have the technology...

Old 01-18-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We can rebuild it... we have the technology...

Today I began the disection (spelling) of my baby. It started out with a two hour garage cleaning session followed by a trip to the Home Depot for a 30,000 BTU propane heater. Probably the best investment I've made in a long time. Regardless, I have begun. So far, I've removed the hood, front bumper cover, intercooler piping, fuel rail, PCV valve, wiring harnesses, throttle body and drained the coolant. In the morning, I'll complete the removal of the intake manifold and then drain the oil. At that point, I'll start working on the exhaust side. I'll post some pictures in the morning once I start making noticable progress. If all goes as planned, I will have everything removed from the engine bay with the exception of the block and head either tomorrow or Monday. The next step will be to trailer the car to Ohio next Friday night for a Saturday morning meet up with Mike Simon. He'll be swapping out the block / head for the built unit. I will then head back home and start to reconstruct everything that night. If all goes well, I'm hoping to have the car up and running before I crack open my first superbowl beer. If not, there will be another superbowl next year. From there, I'll have to make a trip to the dyno to see how everything is working. I'll post updates as things move along.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike Simon, good choice! It's a great and so far proven method of getting a fully rebuilt motor for an actually decent price plus the core. It is a much better idea to do this than experiemnet with shop after shop that hasn't gone through rebuilding this particular engine as many times as Mike Simon apprently has. Good luck! 400+ hp here you come, rear end there it goes! -Anthony
Old 01-19-2003, 08:21 AM

Well after about 4 hours worth of work I've managed to get the intake manifold off as well as the alternator and vtec solenoid unit. That intake manifold would be so much easier to remove if they didn't put supports for wires on the underside of it. Regardless, I'm calling it a day so the wife doesn't kill me. Here are some pics for those interested:

I have to admit that I'm probably in a bit over my head but unfortunately that isn't enough to stop me.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you going to install a Hondata intake manifold gasket when you put it back together? If so, make sure you elongate the holes in the intake manifold support bracket(s).
Old 01-19-2003, 02:41 PM

GO BIONIC LARRY GO
Old 01-19-2003, 04:42 PM

Just curious, How much for the built unit?
Old 01-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry, when you heading back this way with the S2000 intact? I never did get a test drive.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:24 PM

Contact me regarding Mike Simon rebuilds. I can give you all the info on his motors and cotnact info (if you're serious...)

Larry, I can fly up there and help you out if you need some! I've been through it before..

And, no, I won't take the train...

Chris
Old 01-19-2003, 08:27 PM

Chris,

Out of curiousity, could you PM me or post some specific info on Mike Simon's rebuilds. What kinds of changes does he do to strengthen our engine?

I'm looking at maybe doing the Ultimate Racing Turbo on an engine w/ 80-90k miles on it. What would need to be done to make sure that my engine specs are still up to par for the added power?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-20-2003, 03:57 AM

Yeah, I'm installing the Hondata. And I found out the hard way about the brackets not fitting when I did the install on KAMcDonald's car! Just because Mike isn't a sponsor yet, let's not talk about pricing and such. For now, just talk to cjb if you're interested. Dan, I should be up your way in early March with the beast. And yes you can take her for a spin. Chris, why don't you drive up so we have a reference to look at if we need it! OK, I'm going back into the garage now.

Quick Reply: We can rebuild it... we have the technology...