S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Which way should slotted rotors "face"

Old 02-06-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way should slotted rotors "face"

When I bought my S2000 used it came with Power Slot rotors already installed on the car. A few people told me that the rotors were on backwards though, saying the front rotor slots should be facing so the slot looks like this "\" while my front rotors have the slot facing so they look like this ... "/"

I did a search awhile ago and for some reason I found something that said my rotors face the right direction. But my friend just got Power Slot rotors installed on his RSX and his face the opposite way that mine do. His rotors were labeled too...

Here's a picture of his rotors, you can clearly see that they face "\" ...

Here's one of my front passenger side rotor and one of his (note, I upped the brightness on my picture so you can see the slots)...

Both are Power Slot rotors, but different models. Hope someone can shed some light on this for me!
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM

i believe the first pic is the correct mounting method.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can mount it either way... supposedly when you mount in the first position you get more of bite when braking however it goes through pads faster? I remember Seung posted this whole long thread on the differences between the two...
Old 02-06-2005, 05:05 PM

From what I've heard yours will keep the heat in where his will spin the heat out of the rotor.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends if the vanes in the rotor are directional. If they are, then they shoud only be mounted in such a way as to promote a cooling flow through them when the rotor is spinning. "Real" Powerslots have "R" and "L" markings on them so there should be no confusion.

The RSX has the rotors mounted correctly, you don't.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ludedude' date='Feb 6 2005, 09:18 PM
It depends if the vanes in the rotor are directional. If they are, then they shoud only be mounted in such a way as to promote a cooling flow through them when the rotor is spinning. "Real" Powerslots have "R" and "L" markings on them so there should be no confusion.

The RSX has the rotors mounted correctly, you don't.
I'm pretty sure I have real power slots ... the original owner gave me the OEM rotors in the power slot box and they look authentic. Can't be 100% sure I guess. I'd imagine the rotors were clearly marked Left and Right like my friend's RSX rotors were ... Is it possible that the RSX Power Slot Rotors are marked the opposite direction that the S2000 ones are?

If they are the wrong direction, would it be a bad idea at this point to have the rotors swapped so the slots point the right direction? There's less than 3000 miles on the car, so I'd imagine the rotors themselves probably have even less than that.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:34 PM

I do believe your rotors are on the wrong way, I just put some slotted/drilled rotors on a Z06 and they were labeled to go on the way the RSX ones are pictured. Might want to take the wheel off and check out if the sticker is still on there for R and L.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As a caveat ... do what the manufacturer recommends. In the absence of direction ... here are some pointers:
It's not what direction the slots are on the surface of the rotors, but what direction the center 'vent' goes (if the center portion is directional).
If the center vent is radial (not 'turbine' in design ... the center vent is a straight line from the center to the outside radius) ... the direction is not as important (don't worry).
However, if the center (between the friction surfaces) is directional ... the 'vent' (outside radius) should be 'smooth' - going back and the inside radius should bite .

If you're using cheap, one-piece rotors ... once again ... it really doesn't matter what direction the surface slots go.

If you have legitimate two-piece rotors ... follow the manufacturer recommendations, or the general rules above.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For the record ... cross-drilled, one-piece (iron) rotors are crap.
The only materials that can take cross-drilling and not crack are steel, carbon, or ceramic (outer disc portion in two piece rotors).
The only materials that should be used for the center section of a two-piece rotor are either steel (many alloys) or forged aluminum (I'm sure ceramics and carbon are used in some exotics too).
Billet aluminum is way too weak at temp.
Therefore, be careful of those manufacturers that produce two-piece rotors with cross-drilled outer sections made from cast iron, and inner billet 'hat' sections. Cast iron is great for the friction material ... as long as it's not drilled. Billet is great for bling, and not much else in the world of brakes.

Billet hats are too weak and will eventually fail (possibly killing you - and your passenger).
Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 AM

I have a set of Powerslot rotors as well, they are individually labeled L and R.
I believe yours are mounted incorrectly, this is how my drivers side looks.

Quick Reply: Which way should slotted rotors "face"