S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Waterless Coolant

Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

How fast are you weirdos corroding water pumps? Are you putting in water that you sourced from the hull compartments of the Titanic? How can corroded water pumps possibly be an issue?

Maybe you guys are using tap water or drinking water?

My TSX's water pump had over 100k miles on it. I changed it as a part of the 100k mile maintenance. It looked brand new. Furthermore...I have never seen a corroded pump unless some fruitbat decided "tap water is the same as distilled water".

Is this product claiming that it eliminates normal wear of seals and bearings?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Water doesn't cause corrosion. It is not electrically conductive. The inside of your S2000 cooling system is aluminum. The blade of the water pump is zinc dichromate plated. Why/how would water cause corrosion on those items? If I'm missing something, let me know.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Prolly best that the coolant starts to fail at 225-240ºF, than 350-400ºF. Better to blow-up your coolant hose, than seize or melt the engine.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No water pump problems yet but I did have a freeze plug in my head corrode through. After doing my F22 swap I had random overheating issues that I finally narrowed down to the tstat.. Filled system with mostly tap water and what coolant I recovered from the tstat swap. A year later my freeze plug was seeping. Learned my lesson, luckily it was the forward-most plug.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Member (Premium)

I buy pre-mixed Honda coolant. People hate me because:
-I'm paying for water.
-I am beautiful.

But the facts are:
-I'm paying for convenience and peace of mind, knowing that the mix is correct and clean.
-I'm so lonely :'(
Old 07-24-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Water doesn't cause corrosion. It is not electrically conductive. The inside of your S2000 cooling system is aluminum. The blade of the water pump is zinc dichromate plated. Why/how would water cause corrosion on those items? If I'm missing something, let me know.
Pure distilled water is not electrically conductive, but tap water is due to the minerals and salts in it. The minerals also cause buildup.

If you use distilled water and good coolant, you should not have corrosion issues or "mud" buildup. The waterless coolant may work well, but if you ever got a leak and were on the side of the road, you could not just top it off with water, so you are then calling a tow truck or trying to find a store nearby with that waterless stuff in stock. Finding water is much easier Plus, with the hassle, just using good distilled water or de-ionized water and regular coolant works well enough. You can even buy it premixed, although expensive, these days.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Member (Premium)

I'd call Jay Leno and tell him he owes me ten bucks.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

I use Toyota pink coolant, because I get it for free.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1437762413' post='23691752
Pure distilled water is not electrically conductive, but tap water is due to the minerals and salts in it. The minerals also cause buildup.

If you use distilled water and good coolant, you should not have corrosion issues or "mud" buildup. The waterless coolant may work well, but if you ever got a leak and were on the side of the road, you could not just top it off with water, so you are then calling a tow truck or trying to find a store nearby with that waterless stuff in stock. Finding water is much easier Plus, with the hassle, just using good distilled water or de-ionized water and regular coolant works well enough. You can even buy it premixed, although expensive, these days.

No. No and no.

I agree that distilled water is the way to go. Why introduce extra minerals and dissolved solids? However, despite you using distilled water and/or the pre-mix having distilled water in it, the fact remains additives are used to prevent corrosion and the manufacturers have a time limit on it for replacement. Why? because the additives eventually fail and precipitate out reducing the efficacy of the coolant and to remove sludge that has built up. This waterless coolant does not need to be changed because it HAS NO additives to go bad.

If you have the leak in the above example (how many times in your life has that happened?) just use water and be on your way. All you have done is reduced the effectiveness of the existing coolant. It mixes fine with water, it just degrades closer to the undesirable attributes of water. Change it out at your convenience.

Some corrosive remarks (with some plagiarism here) :

Corrosion in the distribution system is a very complex situation which is influenced by many water characteristics, by the metals used, and by any stray electrical current.
The chemical characteristics of the water flowing through a pipe will influence whether the water is stable and will also affect the extent of any corrosive reaction. Primary factors include alkalinity, hardness, and pH, but oxidizing agents, carbon dioxide, and dissolved solids can also influence corrosion.
Alkalinity, hardness, and pH interact to determine whether the water will produce scale or corrosion or will be stable.
In general, corrosion is the result of water with a low pH. Acidic waters have lots of H+ ions in the water to react with the electrons at the cathode, so corrosion is enhanced. In contrast, water with a higher pH (basic water) lowers the solubility of calcium carbonate so that the calcium carbonate is more likely to precipitate out as scale.

Scaling tends to be the result of water with a high hardness. Hard water typically contains a lot of calcium compounds which can precipitate out as calcium carbonate. However, if the hardness in the water is primarily noncarbonate, the chlorate and sulfate ions will tend to keep the calcium in solution and will prevent scale formation.

Alkalinity is a measure of how easily the pH of the water can be changed, so it can be considered to be a mitigating influence with regards to pH. Water with a high alkalinity is more likely to be scale-forming even at a relatively low pH. In contrast, low alkalinity waters lack the buffering capacity to deal with acids, so they can easily become acidic and corrosive.

Other chemicals and compounds found in water also influence the corrosion process. The most common of these are oxygen, carbon dioxide, and dissolved solids.

Oxygen reacts with hydrogen gas at the cathode, causing depolarization and speeding up the corrosion. As a result, water with a high D.O. (dissolved oxygen) will tend to be corrosive. Other oxidizing agents can perform the same function, although they are less common. Nitrates and chlorine are two other oxidizing agents found in water.

Carbon dioxide in water also tends to cause corrosion. The carbon dioxide gas can combine with water to form carbonic acid, which lowers the pH of the water. As mentioned in the last section, a low pH promotes corrosion.

Dissolved solids are typically present in water as ions. These ions increase the electrical conductivity of the water, making the electrolyte more effective. Thus, they will increase the rate of corrosion.

In addition to the chemical properties of water, physical characteristics will influence corrosion. The most important of these physical characteristics are temperature and velocity of flow.

Temperature speeds up the rate of corrosion just as it does most other reactions. However, the effect of temperature on corrosion can be more complex. A high water temperature reduces the solubility of calcium carbonate in water, which promotes scale formation and slows corrosion. Temperature also alters the form of corrosion. Pits and tubercles tend to form in cold water while hot water promotes uniform corrosion. Uniform corrosion spreading across the entire surface of a pipe is far less problematic than tuberculation, so high temperatures can actually seem to slow the corrosive process.

The influence of flow velocity on corrosion is also rather complex. Moderate flow rates are the most beneficial since they promote the formation of scale without breaking loose tubercles. At low flow velocities, corrosion is increased and tends to be in the form of tuberculation due to the prevalence of oxygen concentration cell corrosion. At very high flow velocities, abrasion of the water against the pipe tends to wear the pipe away in a very different form of corrosion. High flow velocities also remove protective scale and tubercles and increase the contact of the pipe with oxygen, all of which will increase the rate of corrosion.

Factors other than water characteristics and bacteria can also influence corrosion. Characteristics of the metal pipe and electrical currents are common causes of corrosion.

Metals higher on the galvanic series tend to be more corrosive while metals further apart on the series are more likely to cause galvanic corrosion. In galvanic corrosion, the size of the cathode in relation to the anode has a large influence on corrosion as well. Larger cathodes tend to promote corrosion by speeding the electrical current's flow. When a system has very small anodes and large cathodes, corrosion is so rapid at the anodes that pinholes tend to form all the way through the metal.

Stray electrical current can cause electrolytic corrosion. Electrolysis usually causes problems on the outsides of pipes.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Member (Premium)

So...with glycol based, water mixed coolants, parts show virtually no wear after 100k miles.

But waterless coolant. Because waterless.

Quick Reply: Waterless Coolant