S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Water in Trunk. Not the trunk vent

Old 07-05-2015, 05:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water in Trunk. Not the trunk vent

Any other places water could leak besides the trunk vent and soft top drains? I've addressed both of these issues but I've still got water in the trunk.

Thanks

Update: Looks like it's coming from the soft top tray

This is where the water is dripping down from:

Same spot, from below looking up:
Old 07-05-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine come back from a dealer repair with sealant around the joint between the boot floor and the wheel/tool well, as well as around the inner skin of the fuel filler.
Seems to have stopped it.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your tail light gaskets. If either is dried and compressed or if the nuts are loose it will leak inside the trunk liner and show up in the well under the jack. Replaced my gaskets after trying everything else ... problem solved!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 PM

I would recommend taking the panels out inside the trunk. Try spraying your car down with a hose. Then wait awhile. Open the trunk and look to see if there are any leaks coming in from the top. If not, then check leaks that could come up from the wheel wells. I had a leak coming into my car because one of the previous owners took the plastic piece out where the bumper pops into by the quarter panel.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracomeister
Check your tail light gaskets. If either is dried and compressed or if the nuts are loose it will leak inside the trunk liner and show up in the well under the jack. Replaced my gaskets after trying everything else ... problem solved!

Is this the gasket you mean? Part 15 on the diagram.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gpep77
I would recommend taking the panels out inside the trunk. Try spraying your car down with a hose. Then wait awhile. Open the trunk and look to see if there are any leaks coming in from the top. If not, then check leaks that could come up from the wheel wells. I had a leak coming into my car because one of the previous owners took the plastic piece out where the bumper pops into by the quarter panel.
I agree with this, as it will be the most thorough and give you the opportunity to check for (and address) any possible rust in the tool well. I had an issue with rust in my tool well and didn't even notice it until I was looked at it from under the vehicle.

Originally Posted by lolS2K
Originally Posted by Dracomeister' timestamp='1436118577' post='23670347

Is this the gasket you mean? Part 15 on the diagram.

Yes, Part 15 is the gasket Dracomeister is referring to.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Soft top, anywhere but specifically where it meets the body and the window
Old 07-06-2015, 10:34 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

This most likely:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/465...x/page__st__50

Pressurized air worked wonders for me. I tried everything from Draino to a snake method. Compressed air blown through the drain worked the best.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

If you have a rear spoiler, check around the mounting bolts for rust. I have an OEM spoiler, the gasket between the spoiler & trunk became brittle and water leaked through the mounting holes. best bet would be to gut the trunk, spray water and, look for rust. Good Luck.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 PM

LOLS2K, Yes, #15 but if you try that route make sure you get the gaskets for your MY, the '00 - '03 are different from the '04 and later and the right and left side are marked to make sure they go on the correct direction (there's some sticky sealing tape on one side).

Quick Reply: Water in Trunk. Not the trunk vent