S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Water in my trunk again, PLEASE HELP!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in my trunk again, PLEASE HELP!

So I got quite the surprise today. As I was detailing my car I open the trunk and discovered an ice block at the bottom, I took out my trunk liner and there was a puddle of water down there. When I got the car last year I found water in the trunk and the dealership said it was because it was "sitting for a while", I didn't buy it. Shortly after I got the car I did some research and found some info on sealing the rubber boot inside of the trunk, so I did that, except I didn't remove the bumper I just sealed it from the outside. I had no water leakage until recently, it was been pouring quite a bit though. Is there anywhere else this water could be coming from? I hope I can find the source soon as I don't have a garage to keep my car and its only going to rain more.

Here is a video I recorded after I posted this, I found where the water is coming from. My roof drains were cleared, water is flowing very nicely through them. Although.. right behind my window where the softtop meets the edge of the trunk there is a slight opening and the water is going through that and leaking into my trunk near the strut tower somewhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRhv1cCdeQ

PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM

No one?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

After watching your video, I'm going to say to take a wire hanger and clean out the rain channels. They're probably clogged with leaves. There is one on each side, right where you poured the water. Just push on the soft top a bit and you'll see it. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure you can find a write up about it on here.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM

I already cleared those if they are the ones right behind the door jam
Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Where the water is coming in there is not supposed to be an opening there... I checked the other side and its closed, I stuck my hand inside of the trunk up where the antenna is and I can feel the water coming through, so I think the seal that connects the softtop to the edges is torn.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 PM

It could be. That's rivited to the softtop though and shouldn't tear unless someone stuck something sharp down there. There are no other seals down there and no other reason for it to leak in that spot.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Well I just stuck a coat hanger down there like you said and it made it worse, so that's probably what happened. How do I go about fixing this without tearing off the softtop? (I have no clue how to do that and don't have the tools).
Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Yea I was talking about the rain channels closer to the door that you already cleaned. You can access that rear seal by removing the rear tray and everything from the trunk. It's attached to the softtop though, so I'm not sure how you can fix it.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM

Im about to just put silicone down there and hope that it seals it up.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 PM

That's not bad idea. I would still remove the plastic rear tray and strip the trunk of everything to see exactly where the rip is.

Quick Reply: Water in my trunk again, PLEASE HELP!