S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Water leak in the trunk

Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak in the trunk

Hello,
So I seem to have the water leak in the trunk. The water is coming in from the passenger side drain area, and I've checked the drain and it is draining fine and the bucket is clear of any debris. It only seems to leak only when my car is facing up hill and only when its a massive amount of water (aka when it was pouring tons of rain in So Cal here a few months ago). I have tested it with a giant bucket of water and water is coming in towards the front in the spare tire area by the drain bucket. It seems to come in between the gap between the drain bucket and the inner wall of the car, so when I tested this; it is like a river of water pouring into the trunk. What I have noticed is that it seems to be missing a seal along the top edge, as there is a piece of rubber on the driver side but it is bare metal on the passenger side. What is this seal and where can I order something like this? Or can I just fill the gap with some silicone sealant?

this is on the drivers side, there is this rubber seal here, what Part number is this?
There is no seal on the passenger side, it is just bare metal
Old 04-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey,

So i had a similar issue to you.

I was fixing another leak issue and discovered what you have. When i was testing the drainage i found on the passenger side (right hand drive car) the water would cling to rail and travel back up to rear of the car and leak over the gutter into the boot.
However it would then make its way towards the drainage area. Just not in the drain.
I know it sounds weird but it would literally be travelling uphill. This only happened on the passenger side.
What i did to solve this was to add aluminium tape as a flashing. I stuck the tape to the body and had it end in the gutter. I almost needed a foot of tape as the water would keep running up the rail.
I started where your images are and ended just before the curve.
Even if the tape doesn't hold to the body it would come off but be up under the rail anyway and still act as flashing.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That might work but it seems to be when massive amounts of water flowing into the drain and filling faster than it can drain and then it spills over the edge of the bucket and pours into the trunk. Granted I think the rubber seal wouldn't protect against that either but it hasnt happened onto the drivers side and the passenger side is missing that piece of rubber
Old 04-18-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

double sided body tape a slice of windshield wiper blade to the area.

darcy