S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Water Leak on driver's side

Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water Leak on driver's side

Well, I had my MY06 for 9 months and got the first sign of water leak. The water drips down at the front edge of the weather seal on the driver's side, only when I am braking. That's when it's raining outside.

Last Sunday, been a nice day with top down, I dropped the top, naturally. When the top is in the halfway down position, water was just pouring out of the weather seal. The seal in question is the short part that shows on top when the softtop is folded down.

I've brought the car to the dealership's service department. They looked at it, but couldn't duplicate the "situation", but they called Honda's technical line trying to get an answer. As of this afternoon, we are still waiting to hear back from Honda. My service advisor says everything will be covered under warranty, whether if it's a new weather strip or a new top.

I've seen other members' S develop water leaks, and they are easily fixed by using the Shin-Etsu grease. Should I give that a try? Since the weather seal is collecting water, not just leaking it. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote name='FrostyWinters' date='Mar 22 2007, 06:46 PM'] Well, I had my MY06 for 9 months and got the first sign of water leak.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that sucks. I still don't know how water got into my weather seal. We haven't had any significant rainfalls since last week, so I don't know whether if the problem would just go away. Still waiting for my service advisor to hear anything back from Honda.

Got a tube of Shin-Etsu grease today. I'll wait for the damn sprinkles to go away before I try that. Funny thing is, my top held up well for the entire winter through snow, ice, and sleet. Just when spring comes around, it gets a leak. Oh well.

I'll see what Honda says. Hopefully they'll get a new weather seal under warranty. A new top is too much to hope for.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

shin-etsu should help. after a car wash, sometimes i would get some water dripping from the passenger side, especially on braking, not too much though. my 03 also had this, but shin-etsu fixed it. its gonna be almost impossible to get a perfect seal with a vert. hope honda can give you some good news
Old 03-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're not alone. I have the same problem. Seems to me that it just accumulates there until it fills up and spills over. Never had any problem until the last snow storm, when the ice started to melt... already got my shin-Etsu... see if it lives up to the hype.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an MG service manager once told me,

"Of course it leaks, you aren't supposed to drive MG's in the rain!!!"

My 06 did the same thing in a couple of rains. It also leaked around the heat sealed seams right above the second cross bar.

They had a hard time getting it to replicate, but after I showed them exactly where it was leaking, along with the water stains on the elastic bands, they found it.

They replaced the top, no problem.

I haven't had it in a rain since, so I don't know if it's fixed. If it still leaks, I'll take it back again just before the warranty runs out.

Willinathen