S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Warning lights just came on-car running ok

Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Warning lights just came on-car running ok

So my new (to me) 06 started throwing warning lights at me this morning. A first since I bought the car in February.

Here's the background. Car just rolled 80k miles, just had an oil change and new air filter installed a week ago today. I have driven it just over 100 miles since then. Been parked all week due to heavy rains.

Car started fine this morning with no warning lights. Planned to take it to work and got less than a mile from home and check engine light, VSA, and a triangle with an "!" in it all came on at the came time. Car was running fine, but immediately turned around and drove back home.

Any thoughts before I totally lose my cool? Thanks.

Rex
Old 07-10-2015, 05:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have an auto parts store near by you can take it there and run the code, report back when you find what it is. I'd also invest in a bluetooth or wifi obd2 reader, they come in very handy and for $30 its a no brainer.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
If you have an auto parts store near by you can take it there and run the code, report back when you find what it is. I'd also invest in a bluetooth or wifi obd2 reader, they come in very handy and for $30 its a no brainer.
Thanks AE_Racer. It's going to be later this evening before I can get to a parts store, but if the car still seems to be running okay, I'll check and report back. Thanks too for the tip on the obd2 reader. Where might I pick one up, also at a parts store?

In the meantime, I called the closest Honda service (about 26 miles away) and spoke with them. They think it is just a glitch in the system and want me to drive it over to have a look.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont believe the parts stores carry them. They have much more expensive items but they do not require the use of your phone like the wifi/bluetooth readers.

I have an iphone and bought this reader last year http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Along with an app (EOBD-Facile) it has worked great. I believe you have to purchase the app but again its cheap compared to buying a full blown OBD scanner.

With the 06+ cars the VSA light comes on with the check engine light sometimes but it doesnt necessarily mean its a VSA problem. I would definitely get the code checked or check it yourself and let us know what shows up. It could be something simple like a loose gas cap, and you'd really hate to pay Honda labor/diagnostics for that.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM

Just as a follow-up, the diagnostic came back as a misfire. The car was running fine thought. Took it to the closest Honda dealer and they ran a check on things. No issues with plugs or wires, but suspected a fault with the coil. However, they tested the coil and found no issues. They rest things and sent me on my way (no charge) and asked me to keep an eye on it. If it happens again, I may need to replace the coil.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah most likely the coil when they first start to act up it can be intermittent, mostly when cold or hi load. there is a way to load test them and inspect the spark using a spark tester but this might be out of your expertise. so yeah your best bet is to wait for it to become more frequent and detectable.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cleenyc99
yeah most likely the coil when they first start to act up it can be intermittent, mostly when cold or hi load. there is a way to load test them and inspect the spark using a spark tester but this might be out of your expertise. so yeah your best bet is to wait for it to become more frequent and detectable.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:47 AM

Lights are back. Car still running fine. Dealer service tech says it's okay to drive until we can track down the problem. Thoughts?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a burnt valve can cause an intermittent misfire. That's what mine did. Everything seemed 100% and car pulled great. I couldn't even feel the misfire when it would happen (light would come on after a month of no issues). Turned out to be a burnt valve. Poor compression on that cylinder.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:38 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Compression test is next.

Quick Reply: Warning lights just came on-car running ok