S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

warming the car down

Old 10-18-2004, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itryan,Oct 18 2004, 09:42 AM
Is it good practice to warm the car down for 1-5minutes after
driving? For the last week or so i have been letting the engine
warm down because i heard it helps prevent heat soak. it this true?

Another question. Do you guys leave your car in gear when you park it or do you
leave it in neutrual? I know one guy with an EVO who doesn't use the e-brake, he just leaves the car in gear. What's the best way to park the S.
The reason for not using the E brake, is to prevent damage to the rotors. After running the car hard on a road, or auto X track, when you're doing heavy breaking, then having the E brake pulled, the pressure can cause warping, or even cause the brakes to stick to the rotors.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pwr2al4,Oct 18 2004, 07:27 PM
Wow, I'm pretty surprised to hear that many of you guys dont use both the E-brake and leave the car in gear.
Some people will simply never see the logic in this until they experience first hand (either themselves or see it happen) a parked car getting away on them. It's like teens who start smoking and can not see the dangers years later of getting lung cancer. Like I said, to each their own.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think some of you are getting way ahead of the question originally asked by first poster. I believe he's asking about parking a car on a day to day basis. What you do after running on the track is not the routine stuff he's talking about. Track operation has its own varying circumstances. Also, those who run their cars hard (especially hard braking) on the street should maybe have that little bit of "cool down" for reasons already pointed out. This will also help to cool the brakes as well, after which it should be safe to use the ebrake. You're worried about brake warpage vs having the car roll down a hill and kill somebody?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 18 2004, 08:49 PM
You're worried about brake warpage vs having the car roll down a hill and kill somebody?
I live in a city full of hills. My car has never run down a hill and killed somebody. Or run down a hill at all, for that matter.

Besides, the safest thing to do is properly turn the wheels so even if it did slip it won't run down the hill.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 18 2004, 09:58 PM
I live in a city full of hills. My car has never run down a hill and killed somebody. Or run down a hill at all, for that matter.

Besides, the safest thing to do is properly turn the wheels so even if it did slip it won't run down the hill.
I agree with your second statement. This is the way it's taught in driving schools and how some cities do their testing. However, for those that this has happened to, it's painfully obvious that if they can't consider taking the extra precaution of doing one thing or the other, they're not going to think about turning the wheel either.

Mishaps don't happen to everyone every day. It only takes one occurance to kill somebody. Going by "it's never happened to me" is all fine and good till it happens to me.

ps. I am reminded of an incident only a few weeks ago when a old fellow came to our firehall to drop of some hazmat. He got out of his car and nothing happened till about 15 seconds at which time, his car started to drive away. He left his car running with the ebrake applied BUT with it in gear. He actually tried to get in front of the car to try and stop it. I guess he "came to" and managed to jump inside to step on the brakes. "Stuff" happens.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 18 2004, 12:25 PM
I park the car in first (use reverse if pointed downhill), ebrake applied.
Ok, I'll bite! This is one I've never heard before. What difference does it make whether you leave the tranny in first or reverse based on which end if pointed uphill?

Just wondering.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

PS: I've lived all my life on the Texas Gulf Coast, some of the "flattest" country in the world so this "isn't" an issue I've ever had to worry about.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 18 2004, 09:17 PM
painfully obvious that if they can't consider taking the extra precaution of doing one thing or the other, they're not going to think about turning the wheel either.
Well, I only turn the wheel on steep hills. On gentle hills I just rely on the ebrake. So be careful next time you come to our fair city -- always look uphill to see if any silver S2000s are bearing down on you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Oct 18 2004, 10:26 PM
Ok, I'll bite! This is one I've never heard before. What difference does it make whether you leave the tranny in first or reverse based on which end if pointed uphill?
The premise is (and I didn't invent it) it's easier to turn the engine by pushing the car if you are turning it in the direction it normally runs. So, if parked nose up, being in a forward gear (1st has the mechanical advantage for holding the car), if the car rolled down the hill, it would try to turn the engine backwards. If pointed downhill, in reverse, it would do the same. Maybe it's an urban legend?

Oh, and Mike, I'll be parking "uphill" from you.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:32 PM

I have the greatest urge to say something stupid, but by God I will refrain.

I don't want XViper gettin' mad at me, he might stop sharing all his R&R threads.

Claus
Old 10-18-2004, 09:46 PM

^
Old 10-18-2004, 09:50 PM

i always leave it in gear. plus it makes it really hard to tow away if you park tail first.(with the wheels turned all the way to the side, optional).

Quick Reply: warming the car down