S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Want to make sure my valve clearance adjustment sounds okay! - video

Old 10-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to make sure my valve clearance adjustment sounds okay! - video

I did my first valve clearance adjustment a few weekends ago and just want to make sure "everything sounds good."
I had a really had time determining if I had low or high drag on my feelers, despite having the already bent feelers. I guess I am just not so good at that sort of thing.

Anyways, here's the quick video I took with my phone. Does everything sound good to y'all?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHD9xqj6dA&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

From what I've heard I think it sounds fine. You really need to do these adjustments a few times to get the proper feel for the drag, and you find ways to get the feeler gauges into the gap at the proper angle. Sometimes you can put downward pressure on the feelers and you suddenly find that the drag is much less than you thought it was just because the angle of approach changed. If you are up to it go back into the head a few months down the road and double check things, you might find the need to refine the current adjustments. I always worry about having clearances too tight, which can burn valves, so it is always good to re-check them later down the road. But I think it sounds good from what I can tell in that video.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds fine If they were too tight you'd notice an eerie "silence" in the valve-train, and too loose would be very obvious. You're good to go...
Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 AM

Awesome, thanks mates!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Sounds fine If they were too tight you'd notice an eerie "silence" in the valve-train, and too loose would be very obvious. You're good to go...
Out of curiosity, what would an obvious loose valve sound like?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by jkelley
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1382504371' post='22841462
Consistent tapping/ticking. Not to be confused with TCT noise. I'll try to find an example vid and post it for you.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1382531859' post='22841770
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1382504371' post='22841462']
Consistent tapping/ticking. Not to be confused with TCT noise. I'll try to find an example vid and post it for you.
[/quote]

Would it be really loud or something?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

here ya go. this was my first valve adjustment(got the intake and exhaust sides confused because I thought I had the specs memorized but I Failed)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM

It could be mellow to extremely loud, depending on how far the clearances are off. The better question is, or answer is, how does your car RUN after the adjustment? Especially below the VTEC engagement point? And how "hard" does VTEC engage, or how noticeable is the engagement? Extremely abrupt or smooth? These are all things that require "feel" of what is correct to notice if the adjustment is good or bad...
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 AM

It could be mellow to extremely loud, depending on how far the clearances are off. The better question is, or answer is, how does your car RUN after the adjustment? Especially below the VTEC engagement point? And how "hard" does VTEC engage, or how noticeable is the engagement? Extremely abrupt or smooth? These are all things that require "feel" of what is correct to notice if the adjustment is good or bad...
I guess I'm good then, because the car is running well and VTEC engages smoothly but with a noticable power difference.

The one thing I'm still trying to solve (that may be unsolvable) is that at idle I can feel the vibration of the engine in the cabin on my seat. It's very subtle but definitely there. I would usually just ignore it but I didn't have any engine vibration in the cabin of my AP1 a couple of years ago RPMs are very stable though, at ~900 ish. Cleaned IAC, MAP whacked/strapped, and now the valve adjustment. I guess this is just what my engine wants to do?

Quick Reply: Want to make sure my valve clearance adjustment sounds okay! - video