S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC sputtering/quits after 2-6 hits

Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

I saw a mention of you replacing he vtec unit, but what about the pressure sensor? Its mounted to the block under the vtec unit and has a single wire running to it which splits off the other vtec connections from the main unit, just fyi if you didn't know.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

That pressure sensor is a switch for the light, that's it.

The pressure sensor is in the VTEC valve itself.

Any engine work done? Possible missing VTEC pin?

edit: sorry I just read you had a rebuild. I'd bet you have a pressure loss in the top end somewhere.

Drill and tap the TCT cap, and measure the oil pressure right there. Check the pressure when vtec works, and when it doesn't.

Use 1/8 pipe thread. When done you can plug it with a pipe plug with Teflon tape, or I'll mail ya a cap.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the knock sensor. The sensor plastic body can break away from the metal base.

I had similar problems and it ended up being the VTEC transistor on the ECU circuit board had brittle fatigue in the transistor legs where they met the circuit board. This was in a race car with lots more vibration than a road car.

If the problem only surfaced with engine work I would be looking at the engine first.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a guru, so forgive the lack of terms, but i had a similar experience with vtec problems, except mine wasn't sputtering. i think billman's suggestion was in line with what i'm thinking. i had some new retainers, springs and keepers installed and the tech didn't correctly torque down 1, maybe 2 of the brackets that hold the cams in place and the oil was squirting out of the sides instead of engaging the vtec pin. might wanna check the torque on those if you have the v-cover off.

as far as your tct, i sandblasted mine too. it lasted for about 2 months, but then started making noise almost all the time. it would make the "tct" noise at start up and while driving, or if i'd take my foot off the gas momentarily while driving. i replaced it with one of billman's and it's been great since. a lot of the noise that i brushed off as valve train noise was actually from my tct too. motor is quiet as a sewing machine now.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Did you reuse your oil heat exchanger in the rebuild?

Bearing material is generally non-ferrous metal, so a magnet won't do anything. They also generally do not take out the oil pump if caught quick enough because it is much softer metal. Measuring clearances after cleaning off bearing material will show you how healthy the pump is.
Yes, we reused the oil heat exchanger. I wasn't aware that there were narrow passages in there that could get clogged, but I'll look into that possibility.

I don't disagree with your point about magnets and bearing material, but the fact is it did catch several chunks of bearing material and alerted me to a failure before it went catastrophic. The bearings are steel, coated with brass or copper, so parts of them are magnetic and will collect on a magnetic oil drain plug. I stand behind my suggestion to upgrade to this part...it's only a few bucks on ebay and could save you tons of money and headache.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Billman250

If that sensor is bad, will it not disable the vtec function? I swear that replacement was a fix for me not too long ago when I had similar symptoms.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1377726808' post='22750115

If that sensor is bad, will it not disable the vtec function? I swear that replacement was a fix for me not too long ago when I had similar symptoms.

Nope... it's strictly there for the dummy light only.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1377741527' post='22750530
[quote name='Billman250' timestamp='1377726808' post='22750115']

Nope... it's strictly there for the dummy light only.
[/quote]

Ok good to know. I did end up replacing the pressure sensor and the rest of the vtec solenoid in different stages with spares I had from other motors, so probably one of these was the fix.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I was actually off on my wording...it is a SWITCH, not a sensor.

Sensors typically take a reading, and return that information to an ecu.

That switch just grounds that single wire, activating the light.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Soooo, Darryl, did you find the problem yet? Saw you driving the car last week Thursday in Robbinsville after the rain quit. Sorry you didn't make it up to Fontana this past weekend.

Quick Reply: VTEC sputtering/quits after 2-6 hits