S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC Solenoid top half gasket

Old 11-11-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Too bad you can't 3d print that gasket material. A 3d printer store just opened up close to where I live.

Maybe http://www.stratasys.com/materials/p...bber-like.aspx
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone found any information on having these gaskets made yet?
Old 11-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Going to revisit this month, I'll post up any progress.

One manufacturer said my order was not enough (5000 gaskets) going to try and find someone to work with our case.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:14 PM

has anyone found any replacements other than from Honda that are cheaper?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... 5,000? Are there even that many S2000's left on the road?
I would buy a couple. Not sure how I missed this thread the first few passes... but count me in
Old 12-26-2014, 08:06 PM

I would probably buy several of them. Let us know if you found out any more information Billman.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Another buyer here and brand new member of S2KI and the S2000 ownership club! I need to replace the valve cover gasket and this VTEC solenoid gasket. Like everyone else, I'd rather avoid the cost of replacing the entire solenoid. So, has anyone considered attempting to make a mold at home and using some sort of silicone/RTV that can be cured somehow at home (air/oven)? I read "in-situ" gasket maker products such as gooped up Hondabond (& probably other RTVs) is not a good idea due to possible oil passage clogging in the head if pieces get loose. I'm not very knowledgeable with such materials and processes, but if there's some sort of approach to molding a proper gasket (using the CAD model of the gasket and accounting for assumed material reduction during cure), it may be worth investigating - especially if the mass production approach using a proven gasket manufacturer falls through (those guys don't get interested unless volumes are high, as you guys are finding out).

Anyways, I'll stay tuned and also share anything new I come up with.

EDIT:

So I've done some research and more thinking. I know someone with a 3D printer although I'm not sure what materials it uses. I'll contact him to find out. The thinking is that I can take the CAD model of the gasket and create a CAD model of a mold (the inverse of the gasket). My buddy can 3D print the mold, from which a proper silicone rubber RTV can be placed in it and cured such that we have the integral gasket we all need. Thoughts?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM

Another buyer here for several if you get this made in some way. I have access to a 3D printer as well, but don't have the time to work through a project right now. I went through this with my civic and ended up buying the whole stupid valve. Should really get on Honda's case for not making a required renewable part available, that's not right.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's been leaking for years. Definitely interested, as nothing I've used works. I'm in for a few...

You know what, I'm sure several shops would be interested as well, correct?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Ok so a quick update. I replaced the four-pass gasket between the solenoid assembly and head. While it needed replaced, it wasn't the only source of my woes (bummer dudes). The top double-pass gasket is the main source! C'est la vie! So I need to get hold of the CAD model another member has his hands on to make an attempt using a 3D printer to make a clamshell mold and some suitable gasket material that will resist several hundred degrees of heat and oil exposure. If anyone has any suggestions with regards to suitable gasket materials, I'm all ears.

I sent a PM to the individual that hopefully still has the CAD model.

EDIT:

I now have access to someone who can mill me a clamshell mold out of aluminum from a CAD file! Plan is to take the two halves, fill them up with high temp (red) silicone RTV, clamp them together, and separate after a 24 hour cure. I expect to have some flashing where the mold halves don't line up exactly, but that can be trimmed. I just need that CAD model to see if I can make this work! :-)

Thanks,
Jason

Quick Reply: VTEC Solenoid top half gasket