S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC Solenoid top half gasket

Old 01-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabes2k2k11
I don't think it's a defective part, it's a small gasket exposed to high temperature. It won't last forever. Yea sucks you can't just buy the gasket. If having to buy a new solenoid only from honda is what it takes to repair it 100% for the long term, well then that's just how it is.
Sounds like someone used to the craziness of German cars, where its common to have to buy a whole, expensive part just to get the small, poorly designed piece of it that normally fails, and for some reason being a German Car everyone just accepts it and pays through the nose for the part.

Many of us appreciate how this is not normally the case with our Honda's, and aren't ready to roll over and accept it here.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

In order to get the little rubber stopper plug for the clutch pedal, you have to buy an entire firewall
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I afford the $200 VTEC solenoid assembly? Yes, but that's not the point. It'd be wasteful to spend that money on it when the are other solutions. I literally spent $0 on my "hack" job. That's $200 I can now put to better use in some other way! And mine is a temp fix until I can get some Viton and make my own proper gasket or buy one or more from another tinkerer.

Staying tuned, Billman. :-)
Old 01-25-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtB
They could have made that gasket last the life of the vehicle. They chose the wrong diameter and material.
Oil breaks down rubber, more so with synthetics generally speaking. It would always be a "small" gasket in relation to the size of the solenoid part. I don't think it's realistic to expect a small piece of rubber continuously exposed for its life to oil that's, what on average 175-225 degrees? Come on, something like just couldn't last forever unless it was the size of bike tire tube.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I don't think it's a defective part, it's a small gasket exposed to high temperature. It won't last forever. Yea sucks you can't just buy the gasket. If having to buy a new solenoid only from honda is what it takes to repair it 100% for the long term, well then that's just how it is.
Sounds like someone used to the craziness of German cars, where its common to have to buy a whole, expensive part just to get the small, poorly designed piece of it that normally fails, and for some reason being a German Car everyone just accepts it and pays through the nose for the part.

Many of us appreciate how this is not normally the case with our Honda's, and aren't ready to roll over and accept it here.
No I've never owned a German car, I just accepted the fact that to fix 100% without a doubt for the long term you buy a new Solenoid. And it look nice, new and shiny on top the front of the engine

Originally Posted by Billman250
In order to get the little rubber stopper plug for the clutch pedal, you have to buy an entire firewall
At least with something Like that, it could come from a salvage car.

Originally Posted by peacekpr
Can I afford the $200 VTEC solenoid assembly? Yes, but that's not the point. It'd be wasteful to spend that money on it when the are other solutions. I literally spent $0 on my "hack" job. That's $200 I can now put to better use in some other way! And mine is a temp fix until I can get some Viton and make my own proper gasket or buy one or more from another tinkerer.

Yes that's good you spent 0$ on your hack job, but you just said it yourself. It's only a temp fix, it's gonna be on your mind, and you're gonna have to revisit the issue again. Maybe more than once. If you replaced it, you can forget about it. Again I know it sucks, and it is stupid you can't buy the gasket, but hey I guess that's apart of the s2000 tax from honda parts.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB' timestamp='1422123993' post='23480023
They could have made that gasket last the life of the vehicle. They chose the wrong diameter and material.
Oil breaks down rubber, more so with synthetics generally speaking. It would always be a "small" gasket in relation to the size of the solenoid part. I don't think it's realistic to expect a small piece of rubber continuously exposed for its life to oil that's, what on average 175-225 degrees? Come on, something like just couldn't last forever unless it was the size of bike tire tube.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

No I've never owned a German car, I just accepted the fact that to fix 100% without a doubt for the long term you buy a new Solenoid. And it look nice, new and shiny on top the front of the engine

Originally Posted by Billman250
At least with something Like that, it could come from a salvage car.

Originally Posted by peacekpr

Yes that's good you spent 0$ on your hack job, but you just said it yourself. It's only a temp fix, it's gonna be on your mind, and you're gonna have to revisit the issue again. Maybe more than once. If you replaced it, you can forget about it. Again I know it sucks, and it is stupid you can't buy the gasket, but hey I guess that's apart of the s2000 tax from honda parts.
True it may have to be revisited at the cost of $9 for some Viton. :-) Gotta remember us tinkers like to tinker. :-)
Old 01-25-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtB' timestamp='1422123993' post='23480023

There's no reason for that gasket to break down in the time frame it has. The gasket is the wrong material and the wrong thickness. It's not even a rotating part. They went cheap.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:07 PM

mine was leaking pretty bad. so i put a LITTLE FIPIG(toyota rtv very goood) around the seal, and it stopped leaking. This is temporary i will replace the entire assembly soon.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:18 PM

Definitely in to buy a replacemt oring but in the meantime it seems I'll have to buy a whole new assembly. Definitely sucks because that money can be used elsewhere but what can ya do
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

any updates?
Old 02-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

No, once I have something to share I will post.

Quick Reply: VTEC Solenoid top half gasket