S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vtec Solenoid issues

Old 05-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec Solenoid issues

So about a year ago I had problems with my s2k..I was driving and suddenly it started to act funny, then stalled. Almost as if it was running on only 2 cylinders, very rough. After a couple days of tinkering and using the cheap OBD2 scanner to get code P2467 - Rocker Arm actuator bank A stuck on. So eventually we somehow conclude to replace the VTEC solenoid. and everything works fine. until yesterday. Car is running fine, I park it..come out and start it 15 minutes later...won't turn off. WHen i blip the throttle i can get it to run but VERY VERY rough. So i popped the hood, everything looked fine. Started it again, was just fine. Check engine light is on so I drive to my buddies w/ the reader, and as i turn on his street. car starts to hiccup and act funny...i manage to pull it in his house. read code P2467. why does my car keep doing this?

I do have a VAFC2 but its using a harness, not hacked at all..so it shouldnt be the cause. right? The VTEC solenoid i bought from a friend was used already so maybe i got bad luck? My oil levels are fine...everything seems fine. But now I'm scared to drive my car anywhere in fear of getting stranded. new part costs almost 200$ after taxes!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM

So Ive found my problem occurs now after running for a while, then i turned off the car. When i started it 10 minutes later it wouldnt run right. Barely got home. Its amazing how no one has NO idea about this problem...very hush hush, surprised more people have never had it
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM

You mention you had a vafc2. Did you use the feature that allows you to lower the vtec? if so that has been known to make the noid wear out much faster, especially if it is set really slow.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by erikvanden
You mention you had a vafc2. Did you use the feature that allows you to lower the vtec? if so that has been known to make the noid wear out much faster, especially if it is set really slow.

I was wondering. I do have it set to 5600 so..400 lower than stock? Really make that thing wear out THAT quick?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sproket13
Originally Posted by erikvanden' timestamp='1304734420' post='20548387

I was wondering. I do have it set to 5600 so..400 lower than stock? Really make that thing wear out THAT quick?
It shouldn't effect it that much if that is all the switch was. However I wouldn't rule it out since the new noid you got was used. I would just get a new one this time unless you can get a real good deal on a used one and don't mind changing it out. You might end up with the same problem though. It could also be how the vafc is set up also. You have to change the in and out points for vtec on the vafc independently.

Either way it sounds like you have to replace the noid so I would do that first. Then I would try to consult with someone who knows a lot about the vafc2/neo. A local tuner might be able to help. I would just point to that as the problem if their is a problem since it is directly changing the normal operation of the part that is breaking.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:27 PM

I've used the VAFC2 on my 99si that had head work and a vortech supercharger all put on by me and my friends. I'm pretty familiar with the unit. But unaware if i could be damaging the solenoid by having VTEC engage sooner, than it also kicks out at 5400 instead of 5600..so that when i do JUST hit the VTEC, and then shift. it kinda gargles..But i highly doubt that could hinder this part in any way? I mean..HOW?! its just working as it should..sooner.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

it could be the vtec pins in the rocker assembly sticking- if you are mechanically inclined and have some free time I would pull the rocker assembly out and inspect it.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
it could be the vtec pins in the rocker assembly sticking- if you are mechanically inclined and have some free time I would pull the rocker assembly out and inspect it.

This is almost what it sounds like..last time you could hear some nasty mechanical sounds..scared the crap outta me. What would cause this? and then why would the car idle so poorly? if i give it WOT it wont even fire!! just dies.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by sproket13
Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1' timestamp='1304743909' post='20548661

This is almost what it sounds like..last time you could hear some nasty mechanical sounds..scared the crap outta me. What would cause this? and then why would the car idle so poorly? if i give it WOT it wont even fire!! just dies.

Im wondering if my VAFC2 somehow has a wrong setting. I bought it from a member here and it still had his initial setup. worked in my car for about 5 months then the VTEC solenoid was done. replaced it, and almost 5 months later. same thing. The search feature on the board apparently isnt working. And I cant find anyone actually posting their initial setup, just a bunch of clowns suggesting search! any help is appreciated!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:21 AM

ok wow. SO i am playing with my vafc...going through the settings. And i just happen to get annoyed, look down at the floor...and see...one of the cilps on the VAFC is at an angle. NOT TOUCHING!! so. i plug it in, clear the code. and bam. she works just freakin fine...THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like an idiot..a happy one tho. Till next time...

Quick Reply: Vtec Solenoid issues