S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

vtec solenoid issues?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vtec solenoid issues?

Back-story. Had a nfr. 06 (stock) totalled....
Bought an 06 lbp (stock). Driving this car vs driving my old car, VTEC doesn't engage nearly as strongly as the old car, as to why, I'm unsure... I just reset the battery at work and will be driving the car in a few hours.... I was informed it could be the ecu from the 06 being not driven for several months. If this doesn't fix my problem.... would I buy a new solenoid? Or are there other tips and tricks to try first. I'm sure they aren't cheap for being so small. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 AM

I have a similar issue where I had an AP1 which was lost in an accident, now I have an AP2. Vtec works fine and feels strong but there is a dip or lag in power just at or around vtec crossover... I have had the car only a few days. This is my 3rd s2k but my first AP2, I'm on a learning curve again with all this new technology and sensors everywhere.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM

The VTEC mechanisms work or they don't work. They don't get weak and need replacing like a battery. Have you checked the valve lash? Overly tight valves cause performance loss without the typical noise ppl associate with valve lash issues. It is possible this car is performing better before VTEC engagement so the crossover doesn't feel as strong.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have an 06+. Get a Flashpro. Datalog. Find Gernby for a tune to optimize the engagement. Smile and enjoy the mid range.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

The VTEC valve rarely has issues, you can almost guarantee that is not your problem.

The whole 06-not driven this is completely false.

Believe it or not, number one cause of lack of VTEC kick is a dirty air filter, or faulty MAP sensor.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I haven't done anything except check the fluids and drive the car. Trans diff and oil will be changed this weekend or early next weekend. I swapped brakes and brake fluid out yesterday and have just been enjoying being back in the seat of the s2k.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 AM

I also put a k&n drop in filter... how can one tell if the map sensor is faulty? No cels car idles smoothly,
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I was reading this with interest b/c of what happened with my son who bought an 04 recently.
2. Vtec was engaging at 6500 rpms, and 3rd gear slowly engaged.
3. I have an 04, which does its duty at 6k rpms consistently.
4. All the fluids, filter and everything was fine, the previous owner was maticulous in his maintenance.
5. this went on for the 800 miles driving from NC to Indy, and for 4 weeks of my son going to work.
6. It mysteriously cleard up one day, the very day we took it to the Honda shop to have it checked, and the Vtec worked properly for the mechanic; he even took a "snapshot" of it and showed me the print out. I'm sure they thought I was just attention-seeking.
7. Very odd, and if it comes back, we'll deal with it then; it is as if it needed driven hard to "loosen" it up???
8. the only thing done different was that we ran some Lucas fuel cleaner through a couple of tankfuls after he got back; he got 3 tankfuls of 30 mpg driving back from NC Vteccing every chance we got, so I can't imagine that had anything todo with it.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:10 PM

The more I have control of this particular s2k the more I'm wondering if it may have been involved in a non reported serious collision... several panels are not o.e. w/vin tags, the interior has suspect bits that didn't stand out to me until I got some decent seat time (after forking over the money for the car) some suspect scratches along body panel edges touched up-very well mind you... and the overall mannerisms of the car... it seems like it sat in a shop for quite a while. Going to check all the mechanics of the car and swap fluids and see how that goes... does oil weight play significantly into vtec? I know oil pressure has some ties.... but say the car has 5w40 as the one salesman eluded too... if I swap back to 10w30 I would assume being a heavier cold oil, but lighter once fluidized that it may decrease friction? I could be blowing smoke out of my arse but these are things I never had to consider beforehand.... also ordered some replacement spark plugs as I always do with a (new to me) car.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

If you can feel the VTEC kick, even if its mild, then MAP sensor is not your problem.

A clogged cat converter can also cause a lack of VTEC power.

To test VTEC, remove the airbox lid and floor it in 2nd gear at 4k rpm. The VTEC noise change at 6k will be very obvious.

Quick Reply: vtec solenoid issues?