S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

vtec seems like it is not kicking in :(

Old 02-28-2004, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec seems like it is not kicking in :(

I have noticed that after I installed a fuel regulator the vtec doesn't seem to be kicking in.......any ideas?
.....resetting ECU maybe? .....fuel pressure adjustment + or -

thnx4yourtime,

Dave
Old 02-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Check your oil first.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:17 AM

will do...thnx
Old 02-28-2004, 09:29 AM

Oil level is good and I whacked the MAP sensor....still no vtec action.....I do have mods but not enough to smooth the vtec out........this happened right after installing the fuel regulator......it must be that..... any more ideas...man this sux....what is a S2000 w/out the vtec kick feel
Old 02-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

What pressure are you running? Switch back to the factory FR and see what happens. I changed mine out without problems several times. The problems may not be related.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:46 AM

I use the B&M commandflo regulator....so I cut the stock one.......I also got a B&M fuel gauge but cannot find the fuel filter...my guess it's near the gas tank right and not in the engine bay(is there any other place I can install the Gauge?....is that correct.....anyways so I cannot tell what pressure it is......I kept adjusting it until it idled good....and it does feel like it idles better now......so I should play more w/ the pressure adjustments......
Old 02-28-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The fuel filter in inside the gas tank. It is part of the fuel pump assembly.
Since this happened right after the regulator installation, I think you are best to look here first as nothing else has changed. The rest of what I'm about to say is "grabbing at straws" and should be taken accordingly.
Sure, try resetting the ECU (BACK UP fuse under the dash in driver's footwell) and see if this resolved anything.
I see that you have an '00. It "might" be just coincidental (and this is a reach) that your VTEC solenoid oil screen may need cleaning. It is a fine mesh and could possibly become clogged if you have been extending your oil change intervals a bit longer than you should. This would require you unbolt the VTEC solenoid and carefully cleaning that screen with degreaser (varsol) with a final gentle blow dry (air gun). Re-lube the rubber gasket with something like a vacuum grease and re-install. Noone ever thinks about this little screen and maybe some of the older cars is getting near time to do so. I changed mine out about a year ago when I put on the S/C and the old screen looked "darker" than the new one. I don't know if this meant that it was starting to get a bit clogged. But having put on a new one, I've never had any issues with VTEC engagement.
Also, due to the age of your car, perhaps a good fuel injector cleaning may be in order, especially if this area has been overlooked during your ownership. I routinely put in one bottle of injector cleaner at every oil change but if you have not, this may not work for you as a more vigorous cleaning may be required. This too, is a bit of reach but since you were messing around with the fuel rail, you may have "disturbed the scheme of things" and caused some debris to get pushed into the fuel rail.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:39 AM

thanks; great ideas.....will try....btw where is the VTEC solenoid? again thanks xviper........one more thing do you think a lack or too much fuel pressure could ever screw vtec up?
Old 02-28-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dayves2k
thanks; great ideas.....will try....btw where is the VTEC solenoid?
Old 02-28-2004, 01:09 PM

sounds great......MY00 only has 20,000 miles on it so the screen is probably not cloged but I will clean it anyways....and I bet you it is the fuel pressure.....I just cannot tell how much fuel pressure due to no gauge installed as of yet......I will play w/ it......the B&M Commandflo just has a screw needle I just will keep messin with....it says to start out wide open and then crew for more pressure....I guess I will screw it in more cuz when it was open it did not even start and then screw by screw it started to idle better etc.. so I will screw it more thnx all................Dave......thnx for the pic xviper

Quick Reply: vtec seems like it is not kicking in :(