S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC Not Working

Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Not Working

So since there's so many threads on this topic and they all have different solutions I figure I am going to need to start my own thread in order to properly figure out whats going on, I,ll try to provide as much background information as possible. I recently got my car about 3 months ago and after purchasing the car someone had pointed out to me that the car used to be boosted with a Comptech SC. The car had some fuel components such as a rising rate Fuel Pressure regulator and also had the ESM piggyback attached to the ECU. I think I've removed all the aftermarket components from the SC system but the car still doesn't feel right. When I'm accelerating WOT the car just passes 6k RPM without any type of kick. I did my oil change with full synthetic Mobil 1 10w30 and used the Honda oil filter 004 and I replaed the saprk plugs with NGK Platinum 7772 OEM Spec. I also checked the gasket and screen in the VTEC solenoid and everything seemed fine. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here so any help would be very appreciated. I also played with the idea of running my own connection from the VTEC solenoid straight to the ECU to try to bypass any problems but I'd prefer not to chop up my wiring. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 AM

Check for oil pressure vtec runs off oil pressure. Run a oil pressure gauge where the oil pressure sending unit is.. At start up cold should be 36 psi and rev to 3 grand and should be about 90 psi.. Once warm it does dip low so don't be to concerned mine gets down to 22 psi...Right now I have this same issue my problems are rocker arms..
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 AM

I checked and noticed that my VTEC oil pressure switch was leaking oil. A friend gave me an extra one that he had lying around that was brand new,so we swapped it out but still nothing. Any other suggestions besides checking the oil pressure?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:56 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't people sometimes disable VTEC when they do a FI build? Could it possibly be something within your ECU/piggyback? I don't know much about this area, just thought I had heard something to that effect before.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or maybe VTEC was lowered to like 3000RPM? so you won't notice the kick? alot of SC and FI guys do that too
Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 AM

The ECU is stock and had a Comptech piggyback which I already removed. Is there a way to adjust VTEC engagement with a stock ECU? I don't see a VTEC controller or anything like that
Old 06-02-2014, 12:03 PM

So in an effort to rule out any faulty wiring done by the previous owner, I cut the connections from the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure switch and ran a wire directly to my ECU where I spliced the two together to the correct pinouts (like a VTEC oil pressure switch delete) but still nothing. I'm not throwing any CEL either so im pretty positive I ran everything correctly
Old 06-02-2014, 12:25 PM

What year is the car? The stock ECU could have been flashed to lower the VTEC point like Jorden mentioned. If it's lower in the RPM range, it might not be as noticeable.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 PM

I hope not.... its a 2000

I just performed the manual test of the solenoid itself and its working fine. Also, when i did the last test run the car didn't want to rev all the way to 9k. It kind of pulled back as if I hit a rev limiter at about 8k but I have reached 9 before in this car.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:58 PM

No progress still, any other possible causes of not VTEC?

Is there a way to test whether or not the ECU is properly sending the 12V signal to the solenoid?

Quick Reply: VTEC Not Working