S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC not kicking . .....

Old 04-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC not kicking . .....

hi guys! i have a problem with my car! just last nyt while i was driving i tried to vtec my car on 2nd gear up to 8500rpm then 3rd up to 8500rpm then i shifted to 4th whlile decreasing speed then slowly to 5th and 6th to make the car slow with a bit braking........ then i tried to vtec my car again on 2nd gear the vtec did not kick in... i can tell that its not kicking in because the power and the sound of the car did not change unlike when im going into vtec you can really here the vtec from the engine and exhaust but just last nyt it did not work..... tried again several times still the vtec did not work... i check the car for CEL there is no CEL. i check the oil level it is high. i checked the oil pressure on my defi gauge its high it 48-50psi at idle then goes up upto 109 at hi rpm.... what could be wrong??? by the way its a 2000model s2000 JDM. i have j's racing tsuchinoko intake, ASM headers, BERK testpipe,ASM TWIN FULL EXHAUST, grex OIL cooler. i know its not going into vtec because when you hit vtec on the asm exhaust you can reaaly here in kicking in! the sound gets louder.. and also i tried low rpm drivign the engine runs good! guys pls help me what could have cause it....... i want my vtec back! pls pls pls...... thanks so much guys!!! i also checked for any leaks on the engine there are no leaks..... my engine only has 28k kms......
Old 04-05-2008, 08:50 PM

anyone pls?? guys pls help me!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Were you wide open throttle or just gradually accelerating up past 6000rpm? Slowly accelerating does not make as much of an impact on sound or feeling of power when crossing into VTEC.

However, check your VTEC solenoid to make sure that it is plugged in. The connector may have come loose. Or you have a bad VTEC solenoid.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:50 PM

yup i was on WOT before vtec crossover. i havedchecked the plug and its in.what could be wrong sir neg camber??? also my idling seems like when you release on the gas pedal it really goes down si if teh engine is going to die... im gettin fed up with my car.. seems like a problem is going out evry month.........
Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VTEC is really pretty simple. There are only a few things that impact VTEC engagement: Oil pressure, solenoid, rocker pins. If there is oil pressure, when the solenoid is triggered it allows oil to push a set of rocker pins to lock the non-VTEC rockers onto the VTEC rocker following the VTEC cam lobe.

VTEC will not engage if: 1) there is not enough oil or enough oil pressure; 2) the VTEC solenoid is not triggered; 3) the rocker pins do not lock the non-VTEC rockers to the VTEC rocker.

You say oil level and oil pressure are OK, so that's out.

I've only seen the rocker pins not accuate to lock the rockers just once. That was when they've jammed after a head rebuild. I doubt that is the problem.

That leaves the solenoid.

The solenoid is plugged in ok...so that leaves either the solenoid is bad or oil is not passing through it to the rocker pins. There is a screen between solenoid and the head that is supposed to filter junk missed by the oil filter and it's possible that it is clogged. Take the solenoid off and check. If it is ok, then the solenoid must be bad.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried resetting the ECU (unplug the battery for 15 minutes) - good luck - no VTEC = no fun...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Apr 6 2008, 08:05 AM
VTEC is really pretty simple. There are only a few things that impact VTEC engagement: Oil pressure, solenoid, rocker pins. If there is oil pressure, when the solenoid is triggered it allows oil to push a set of rocker pins to lock the non-VTEC rockers onto the VTEC rocker following the VTEC cam lobe.

VTEC will not engage if: 1) there is not enough oil or enough oil pressure; 2) the VTEC solenoid is not triggered; 3) the rocker pins do not lock the non-VTEC rockers to the VTEC rocker.

You say oil level and oil pressure are OK, so that's out.

I've only seen the rocker pins not accuate to lock the rockers just once. That was when they've jammed after a head rebuild. I doubt that is the problem.

That leaves the solenoid.

The solenoid is plugged in ok...so that leaves either the solenoid is bad or oil is not passing through it to the rocker pins. There is a screen between solenoid and the head that is supposed to filter junk missed by the oil filter and it's possible that it is clogged. Take the solenoid off and check. If it is ok, then the solenoid must be bad.
thanks neg camber! ill try checking the solenoid screen! what if its clean?????? what would be the next problem?? thanks!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigmacnfries,Apr 6 2008, 05:42 PM
have you tried resetting the ECU (unplug the battery for 15 minutes) - good luck - no VTEC = no fun...
i did try doin it for 1minute.. i didnt know that it has to be in 15mins.........
Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoyk20,Apr 6 2008, 07:32 PM
thanks neg camber! ill try checking the solenoid screen! what if its clean?????? what would be the next problem?? thanks!!!
Replace it if the screen is clean or you can visually inspect the rocker pins first. That's it.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:51 PM

thanks!! is the screen filter on the s2000 the same with the ebgine of the k series CRV or even with the b16a engines?? thanks!!

Quick Reply: VTEC not kicking . .....