S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC not engaging / Oil Pressure Switch / Wiring problem

Old 01-23-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VTEC not engaging / Oil Pressure Switch / Wiring problem

Hey guys,

I know there's a ton of very knowledgeable people here so hoping someone can help me! My S2K is 2005, 48k miles, bone stock. About 3 weeks ago, the Check Engine light went on. I thought it was a cat problem (I had been smelling rotten egg smell for a couple of weeks), but then as I pushed it past ~5,500 RPM, the VTEC wouldn't kick in. It "bucked" on me, knocked the RPM back down. Keeps doing that. Drives fine under the VTEC-engaged RPM's. Oil level confirmed just barely under the max line on the dipstick. Oil clean enough (changed 1,500 miles ago).

Had it scanned and it had 2 codes: P2647 and P1456. Not worried about the P1456 just yet. P2647 is "VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Circuit High Voltage". Thinking this is my problem of why VTEC not engaging. I start to get info on how to replace that switch, and when I go to inspect it, I see a wire problem. A mouse or something ate my wires! The Oil Pressure switch looks like it has 2 wires - a blue (black stripe) and a yellow (brown stripe). The blue(blk) is completely eaten through - no connection at all. The yellow (brwn) is mostly eaten away, barely connected. There's another yellow (red stripe) wire coming form the same wiring harness that goes to what looks like a sensor on the block (the sensor is right above the oil filter). That yellow (red) wire is also completely eaten through - no connection at all.

I've tried to find threads / videos that address this, but can't find anything dead on. So my questions are:
1. Any reason to believe my VTEC issues are NOT associated with these broken wires?
2. What is the sensor with the yellow(red stripe) wire that runs from the wire harness to the sensor that's located directly above the oil filter?
3. Do you think I can get away with splicing the broken wires (if the splice job was quality)? They seem like high gauge stranded wires to me (def not a lot of current). Honestly, I have to sell the car and I can't afford to put a ton of $ into it.
4. If I need new wires, it looks like I need to get that whole harness, right? Anyone know what that harness is called (I can't find it online)? Know where I can find it?
5. Anyone know how the wiring harness connects under the head cover? Is there just a simple connector under there?

the red circles are the 2 wires that are broken

I REALLY appreciate the help!

Old 01-23-2021, 04:22 PM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

I would say those wires are definitely your issue, you can splice them together and everything should be fine, just tape up the connections to keep them free of moisture and corrosion. Test drive to confirm.