S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC mechanism removal/reassembly trick.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default VTEC mechanism removal/reassembly trick.

Just thought I'd post about a little trick I worked out when removing the VTEC assembly.

The first time I did it was when my motor blew and I rebuilt another block and installed my head on it. First of all, when I took the parts to the workshop I nearly lost some of the VTEC sliders/pins and they come out pretty easily. Second, it was a real pain getting all the rockers into alignment when installing it.

The next time I did it was when doing a friends head gasket. This time I put rubber bands around each cluster of rockers to keep them together. Much easier to reassemble.

I recently did my head gasket and took it a step further. I put a rubber band around a cluster, twisted it half a turn, and put it over the cluster next to it. This not only keeps two clusters together but also holds them up. 4 rubber bands and you save heaps of bother with losing parts and reassembly.

Hope somebody finds this useful.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, I have done this a couple of times, it is definately a pain!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I usually use nylon zip ties and tie the rockers together. New rocker sets come with a metal tab that goes under the adjuster locknuts, and holds them assembled.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing like the popping sound of a vtech pin, then the ping sound when it hits somewhere .