S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC is gone

Old 10-05-2003, 02:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default VTEC is gone

Dunno what happened here, driving around the valley and just shy of 6000 miles, the Maint light started flashing. Even so, I have about 1500 miles to the next oil change.

On the way back I hopped on the freeway onramp and took off. I noticed the car quite rudely did not do a VTEC engagement. I got off the freeway and repeated the same thing. No change in engine tone, no added pull.

Went home and reset the MAINT light, checked the oil: 2 X's below the "F", plenty of oil in there. I topped off the oil, and took it for a sedate drive for a while.

On the way back, I hopped on the freeway again. No VTEC, what gives? Time to reset the CPU? I have never got a CEL, so I don't now what to do next.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it the maintenance required light, or the check engine light?

Do you just not have VTEC, or does the fuel cut kick in at around 7K?

If it's the CEL, check the gas cap. Make sure it's tight, then reset the light by pulling the fuse. That's usually the culprit. If that doesn't work, let us know. HTH
Old 10-05-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Station
Is it the maintenance required light, or the check engine light?

Do you just not have VTEC, or does the fuel cut kick in at around 7K?

If it's the CEL, check the gas cap. Make sure it's tight, then reset the light by pulling the fuse. That's usually the culprit. If that doesn't work, let us know. HTH
No fuel cut, car was running for more than 30 minutes before trying to VTEC, so engine warm-up is not an issue. Oil is fully topped off. MAINT light was flashing recently. It started flashing while I was driving at about 5960-some-odd miles, flashed for 5-10 sec or so, then went out. It never did it again except when I started the car. Anyhow, it MAINT does not come on now because I cleared the light according to the manual. No CEL has ever appeared on this car.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it to honda
Old 10-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe your vtec solenoid has gone bad or your car is in limp mode for som reason(maybe you're throwing some codes).

the car is under warranty, get it to honda ASAP and have them take care of it for you.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by RazorV3
maybe your vtec solenoid has gone bad or your car is in limp mode for som reason(maybe you're throwing some codes).

the car is under warranty, get it to honda ASAP and have them take care of it for you.
It is under warranty, and I am planning on bringing it in. I have the Devil's Highway run at the end of the month, and the car has to be ready by then. I've also posted before about the mysterious rattle that occurs under acceleration at 4500 or so RPM just before the 2->3 shift. This rattle went away for a while, but now is back pretty strong. It also seemed to start up about the same time as the VTEC trouble.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The maintenence light will start blinking occasionally around that milage, no biggie there. As far as the VTEC engagement, I have this every now and then. The car will go smoothly thru the VTEC point, all the way to 9K, but I wouldn't feel the kick. I was worried, but then a day later everything was OK again.

Were you giving it full gas, or just easing past VTEC? Anyway, if you just give it a day or two, I am sure that old VTEC kick will be back. A lot depends on temperature, humidity, etc.

I don't know about your Honda dealer's service, but I would be afraid to take mine in, I just don't trust them....
Old 10-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IF you had no vtec you can't get to 9krpms. The lower cams just can't breath up there. so if you were able ro redline it, you're fine.

Probably just your mind messing with u.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
IF you had no vtec you can't get to 9krpms.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you won't be able to go much past 7k w/o vtec.

not sure about the lack of kick. Check your oil maybe. but the low end cams just can't breath much above switch over. You'll know for sure they aren't working as the power will be GONE after 6-7k.

Quick Reply: VTEC is gone