S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vtec engagement seems to be smooth and no bang

Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec engagement seems to be smooth and no bang

Ok, just so you guys know... My 2000 ap1 has 87k and I've had it for 3 years... The vtec seems to feel weaker in the crossover to higher rpm... I cleaned the air filter, throttle body is clean, oil change and made sure it was topped off... I changed the vtec solenoid filter and gasket, and reset the ecu. Still the same... Now the car did this before but oil level was the answer or dirty air filter but now none of the above have really shown a difference... Now the car hasn't had a Valve adjustment yet or I haven't checked the map either...(these things have never been done) I haven't changed the diff or tranny fluid for awhile just about 40k now. Could that also be why? I haven't touched my spark plugs or cleaned my injectors since I've had the car either. Now the car runs really good and goes when I press the gas but the crossover feels weak... And i keep up with all the maintenance and i properly let the car warm up every time I drive. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

If those are the original factory plugs I can almost guarantee they are due for replacement, not sure if that is affecting your vtec crossover point but you should examine them for replacement, mine were at the service limit at 55k miles.

Have you changed anything on your car such as intake, exhaust, header ?, those mods affect the vtec crossover often by boosting power on the low rpm power curve so the transition is smoother - which is a good thing. That happened to my car. Many times a smooth vtec crossover is good to have despite people wanting that harsh VTEC changeover. Sometimes a change in weather conditions can affect the vtec crossover as well.

Look at your plugs first and go from there.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Well, I have cat back exhaust with a test pipe but no intake....but I've had these mods for 2years... Why now is it just acting up? Is it because the exhaust is finally broken in if that makes any sense lol but ill check the plugs first
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM

correct me if i am wrong but my car doesnt hit vtec as hard when it is really cold outside so it might just be the season... and a more smooth transition isnt a bad thing it is better in some aspects
Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by bewareofthepoop
correct me if i am wrong but my car doesnt hit vtec as hard when it is really cold outside so it might just be the season... and a more smooth transition isnt a bad thing it is better in some aspects
Yeah but I thought ap1s are suppose to feel the kick
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 AM

I really wouldnt worry to much about it. i think mine is smoother sometimes and more of a kick some others.. it is just about the atmospheric conditions when you are driving and the denseness of the air. But you should do some research on the smooth engagements and when a car is tuned properly that is how it should be a smooth transition
Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 AM

Now, I have noticed that my rear tires are at 50% and they seem to slip on some surfaces during take off when it use to just grip... Could the tires be the culprit to my vtec?? Instead of gripping it might be slipping a little bit? I mean every now and then ill feel the pull and sometimes I feel the smooth transition...
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM

That is what I am trying to say sometimes you will feel it kick harder because the air is a different density and I don't think the tires would have make any difference v tec is from you motor not so no matter how bad your tires are v tec should feel the same
Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

How cold is it when you feel your tires slip?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Besides plugs what else can I do to check for the engagement loss... MAP? Everything is stock except the exhaust... Could it be old wiring or maybe the vtec solenoid it self needs to be replaced? Will a vavle adjustment help? This is a 12 year old car but I have taken care of it and garage kept it.... The car runs good as usual but the bang from hitting 5500 rpm isn't there... I can feel the car getting fast but there is no pop and it used to do it all the time and now it just doesn't want to... Point is, the car use to bang in vtec and now it doesn't.... Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Vtec engagement seems to be smooth and no bang