S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vtec cutting out @ random

Old 12-09-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec cutting out @ random

Over the last few days I have noticed my vtec cutting out. I have only experienced it in 1st and 2nd, have not tried to find out if it will do it in 3rd and up. Sometimes it is a kick and other times it feels like a total power loss, sort of like hitting the rev limiter. I checked the oil level, it is good. I don't know about the pressure but I am not getting a check engine light. To the best of my knowledge I am not throwing codes because my engine light is not turning on. I know I have seen simular post before but the search is down. Any help would be great.
Thanks, V
Old 12-09-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried fiddling with the MAP sensor harness?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vtec engagement is based on 3 things to my knowledge

RPM
Temperature
Oil pressure

The Map whack is a good place to start. But with the colder weather moving in, you might have to wait a tad bit longer before engaging in vtec.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:46 PM

Have not Checked the map. I will go do that right now. As far as the cool temps, I don't think that is the problem. I never go into vtec unless the car is warm. Also the ambient air is around 80 year around. Well out side I go to mess with the map sensor. I will let you guys know. Thanks
V
Old 12-09-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well???
Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you have at least one bar on the fuel gauge, I ran into a situation like this back in May when I ran my fuel real low (I had no bars). When at about 7500 - 8000 RPM the engine would cut-off identical to the rev limiter stepping in, it scared the crap out of me. I simply popped into a gas station and filled up and problem solved. I suspect I ran my fuel so low that there was not enough for sustainted high RPM jaunts and the computer stepped in and did its thing.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:58 PM

Alright. Took off vtec solenoid and gave it a good cleaning. Checked my spark plugs and re torqued. Took off map Sensor, gave it a cleaning and a smack. I went for a drive and it was solid. No problems. I am going to change the oil tomorrow and do a little more driving.

I think there is a possibility low fuel could have been it luv2rev. Now that I think of it my fuel light was on when this was happening. I did not even think about this. I took it to honda after it happened and went for a ride with one of the guys from the tech department and he did not know for sure without really looking at it. Well I will give it a few days and see how things pan out.

Has anyone heard of the problem with the spark plug gaskets, or something related to the plugs backing out? I heard one of the guys at the dealer talking about something but did not hear it all. I would think that would be a recall if it was a big enough problem right?

Thank you all for you input. I appreciate it.
V
Old 12-10-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone heard of the problem with the spark plug gaskets, or something related to the plugs backing out? I heard one of the guys at the dealer talking about something but did not hear it all. I would think that would be a recall if it was a big enough problem right?
There WAS a recall worldwide for early model S2000s ('00 and '01 and some '02). If you are the original owner, you would have gotten that notice. Honda went to a stainless steel crush washer on the plug and upped the torque to 18 lb/ft. If you are not the first owner, then look for a "dot" stamped above one of the VIN numbers on the frame (firewall) by the battery. These denotes that the recall was done.

HOWEVER, I doubt this was what caused your problem.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:42 AM

Thanks xviper I will take a look for the dot.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 AM

Holy moly...... xviper is just the never ending fountain of knowledge!

Quick Reply: Vtec cutting out @ random