S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VTEC Controller - Mugen ECU

Old 08-30-2001, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Controller - Mugen ECU

Is there a chip/ECU that we could use with exhaust/header and intake that CAN be for street use?

What would happen if we use the Mugen ECU (VTEC @ 6k and rev limit @ 9k) for street use?
Would this shorten the life of our engine?

Is there anyone here that has experience with this or have a Mugen ECU?
Old 08-30-2001, 06:51 AM

Scott at King Motorsports uses the Mugen ECU on a full time basis including when they turn the car over to magazines for review.
Seeing as the Mugen ECU eliminates protection, I have purchased the oversize radiator to run the Mugen ECU full time.
I think one should have an accurate water temperature gauge to monitor the system and more and more options are available for gauges as well.
The Mugen ECU and exhaust manifold does render proven mid and upper range power increase.
Old 08-30-2001, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s2k_dallas, our emissions testing is pretty weak here- I have not seen what the proposed changes will lower the limits to, but I do not think that Mugen ECU will prevent you from passing emissions. My '91 Trooper with header, exhaust, modified MAF and ECU, no cat, no smog pump, and no EGR, *still* passes our emissions test. I believe Dallas and Tarrant counties are the same, and from what I've seen new and old cars all have the same limits (i.e. new cars don't have to be cleaner).

I would suspect that the proposed changes will olter this but I also suspect with as clean as Hondas are that the Mugen wouldn't affect things too negatively.

Worst case, swap the ECU back in for your inspection. It took me all of about 20 minutes to get mine out and back in.

There is no "chip" or other method of reprogramming/altering the stock ECU. The only current solution is to replace the ECU (Mugen, Spoon, etc.) or use a "piggyback" such as the V-AFC or Field units to intercept/modify MAP, TPS, and other signals to alter the a/f ratio to tune for mods.

The Mugen does not change the VTEC or fuel cutoff points- those points you list are also stock. The Mugen ECU should not shorten the lifespan of the engine (your driving might, though ). While the Mugen "softens" some safety precautions in the ECU (purportedly the ignition advance and a/f ratio) I don't believe any damage has been reported by any users. It is recommended if you replace the ECU you get the lower temp thermostat and fan switches (Mugen, Spoon) to improve cooling and/or a larger radiator (Mugen, Spoon, Fluidyne). Keeping the engine cool will help insure that the more agressive performance of the Mugen ECU won't damage anything.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:23 AM

What does the Mugen ECU do? Just eliminate protection such as REV limiter?
How about the other mods you speek of ..., Field Units, V-AFC, to alter MAP, TPS, a/f ratio, etc.
I am looking to put some quality parts into my car and I like what I see with the Mugen products. This is why I am asking so much about them.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by S2K_Dallas
What does the Mugen ECU do? Just eliminate protection such as REV limiter?
No, it retains the stock VTEC changeover point as well as the stock rev limiter. What it does is use a more agressive air/fuel and ignition timing map that takes advantage of modifications more, as well as improve performance over stock by not retarding timing under "warm" conditions.

How about the other mods you speek of ..., Field Units, V-AFC, to alter MAP, TPS, a/f ratio, etc.
I am looking to put some quality parts into my car and I like what I see with the Mugen products. This is why I am asking so much about them.
That's understandable. There are many quality products out there, you just need to find what's right for you. Post back with what you want or what you're looking for, I'm sure people will be glad to help with specifics.

You didn't specifically ask, but the Apex'i V-AFC is used to modify the air/fuel mixture as well as the VTEC changeover point. It will work with any ECU. While the Mugen is intended improve performance with mods and over stock, it still doesn't substitute for removing OBD2 restrictions as well as "cusomizing" your a/f ratio for the particular mods you have.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:49 PM

I want VTEC to kick in at a lower RPM like 3k or 4k RPM sort of like a turbo effect and overall mid to upper range power boost.

It seems the manifold and exhaust that Mugen provide is what I am looking for but not sure how the ECU they sell would compliment the exhuast and manifold.

What RPM does our VTEC actually kick in at, mine feels like it kicks in at around 7RPM or at least takes effect at that RPM.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K_Dallas
[B]I want VTEC to kick in at a lower RPM like 3k or 4k RPM sort of like a turbo effect and overall mid to upper range power boost.
Old 08-30-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by S2K_Dallas
I want VTEC to kick in at a lower RPM like 3k or 4k RPM sort of like a turbo effect and overall mid to upper range power boost.
VTEC engaging on the F20C at 3000-4000 rpm will feel more like the engine is bogging down, not a turbo kick.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:58 AM

Anybody know how the spoon ecu is?