S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vtec or clutch issues Questions

Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on what information you provided, there doesn't seem to be any real issue. The VTEC crossover should be noticeable - as Billman mentioned, try swapping out the MAP sensor and air filter and see if there is a change in the 'performance.' Otherwise we just need to run down the 'laundry list' of items that need to be looked at to help diagnose any potential issue.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Daniel texted this am, said, he felt the clutch "drop" (not sure what he meant, can't talk to him he's at work).
2. he said last evening he had a chance to Vtec through gear 1-4, and he commented that the clutch delay valve that keeps the Vtec from "snapping" in too harshly like the AP1s, it seems to be kicking in restricting the application of Vtec appropriately; "it isn't set right," to quote him.
3. Maybe these details from the innocent mouth of a newbie, that knows nothing of cars, will strike a cord that my descriptors didn't.
4. It does all boil down to the Vtec selenoid, clutch delay valve, and the Map sensor, if all the other basics are covered, it seems.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Not really, since the flywheel weight/pressure plate force is what really is effecting the clutch grab, not the CDV.

Also, again, you don't need to use the clutch to engage VTEC. It frankly sounds like he's either abusing the car or at least not driving it properly.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Not really, since the flywheel weight/pressure plate force is what really is effecting the clutch grab, not the CDV.

Also, again, you don't need to use the clutch to engage VTEC. It frankly sounds like he's either abusing the car or at least not driving it properly.

1. "abusing the car or at least not driving it properly," Wow, I didn't see that coming.
2. I have been driving my S, using Vtec every day, and I get made fun of, b/c I get 25 mpg every tankful going back and forth to work.
3. With the clutch pedal fully up, and waiting for the rpms to climb and for Vtec to "phase" in at 6000 rpms, is not abusive.
4. But, if you want to think it's driver error that his 04 and my 04 acts different when engaging Vtec, when both of us have the same experience driving both cars, I can only wish you were here to drive both and see for yourself.