S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vtec or clutch issues Questions

Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec or clutch issues Questions

1. My 04 S I have had for 3.5 yrs. and from 9k to 44k miles has a "snap" or "punch" or "kick" at 6k rpm.
2. My son bought a really nice yellow 04 with 77k miles that has been taken well car of, and it does not.
3. It gently goes into Vtec at 6500 rpm, and it get worst with 2nd and especially 3rd where it "slides" into Vtec, never kicking in at all.
4. To me, it acts like the clutch is slipping, keeping Vtec from "punching" in. Can't really test gear 4 or 5 b/c of speed.
5. I can't imagine it being the clutch, b/c the previous owner was "steller," and I just don't think he knew how Vtec was really supposed to "kick."
7. I didn't really notice too much at first, since I wasn't on the expressway where you could put it through its paces.
8. I don't know whether it could be a clutch adjustment, or Vtec adj., whether it's being starved for fuel during Vtec, or even oxygen???
9. I'm not a mechanic.
10. It takes the joy out of the car, with Vtec not working properly.
11. I notice that under Vtec there was a different "feel" of the car, a "rumble" I wasn't used to, I thought perhaps it was the Sumotro III ???? tires in comparison to my Michelins and Continental A/S tires, and I say that in case that means anything.
10. We drove the car for 700 miles and got 30 mpg 3 tankfuls, and everything is perfect running. 11. If it needs a clutch, we'll have to figure out where to take it.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 PM

2. What I don't understand is, my 04 knows nothing of this, and that is what I'm comparing it to. 3. The "jerk, shock, catch," or whatever you would call it of the engagement of Vtec, which is like a turbo kicking in, is what makes it a Vtec. Why would 2 identical cars, both 04, have different Vtec "kick-in" modes, so how can mine and his be different with the same flywheels and clutch delay valves?
3. My 04 doesn't "snap" my neck back, I wish there was that much "kick,", but there is that "turbo" effect kicking in right at 6k, every time, every gear (not that I know about much beyond 3rd gear b/c of speed, but have gone from 6th to 4th, to engage Vtec on an open expressway stretch,
4. I'm hoping it is a faulty Vtec solenoid valve as opposed to a clutch, that is the only hope extended so far. My son, is not happy about it, reflecting my own visage, but I told him it will be fixed.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:23 PM

1. So searching around the web has been interesting.
2. The recommendations are: Clean air filter, check/replace oil, clean solenoid oil screen, replace solenoid gasket, check/replace spark plugs, verify spark plug gaps, verify high octane fuel, check value tolerances, compression test.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 PM

1. Drove the car to get license bolts with a Philips head, and locking nuts for the Anvil oblong, heavy Moddiction shifter I gave him, and it is interesting that the Vtec seemed to be better today?
2. Makes me wonder about the possible dirty screen in the Vtec solenoid, and whether driving it for 700 miles affected it?? Could be my imagination, I didn't get to go on the expressway, and only got to do 1st and 2nd with barely a touch of 3rd.
3. I really wonder if the Sumoxxx 3 Z???? summer tires are the reason for the "rumble" feeling I'm getting when accelerating. If I cared to go to the trouble, I could switch mine for his and test it, but, I have a life, and it wouldn't change anything anyway.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Are you describing the ap1 vtech crossover?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

It doesn't sound like anything really wrong to me. A big VTEC "kick" isn't necessarily a good thing, it means you aren't taking advantage of the available mid range power. I have mine set to 4900 (Flashpro, only 06+) and it's a completely smooth transition, just a change in sound is the only clue.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by dsthez
Are you describing the ap1 vtech crossover?
1. Not familiar w/that term other than hearing it used by others, and I suppose when I say at 6K rpms, Vtec kicks it is what you and others are calling "crossover." I can't describe it any better than what I have. Sorry if I don't know the vernacular.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
It doesn't sound like anything really wrong to me. A big VTEC "kick" isn't necessarily a good thing, it means you aren't taking advantage of the available mid range power. I have mine set to 4900 (Flashpro, only 06+) and it's a completely smooth transition, just a change in sound is the only clue.
1. I've never heard anyone say that the engagement of Vtec is not a good thing, and you should take advantage of mid-range power?
2. If you are referring to shifting before 6k rpm to avoid Vtec, we are on a different page in the book; I want my Vtec 6k rpms engaging vigorously.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The AP2 isn't supposed to have the same "kick" when going into VTEC as the AP1; it shouldn't be that noticeable other than the sound. Are both of the cars stock?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by d16tof22
The AP2 isn't supposed to have the same "kick" when going into VTEC as the AP1; it shouldn't be that noticeable other than the sound. Are both of the cars stock?
1. Yes.

Quick Reply: Vtec or clutch issues Questions